9 Likes

8 Likes

the birds are having fun with my berries in the garden

6 Likes

What kind of bird is this?

@Dirk

Looks like a nice day there from the Duke’s webcam

4 Likes

You’re some man. “DUKE’S” That’s ‘David Carnegie, 4th Duke’. You will have to Google me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I believe Barney is from Fife…

2 Likes

He is also the second cousin once removed of Queen Elizabeth, now that is getting up there!!!

2 Likes

I didn’t realize checkpoint chickee was in Fife :thinking:

2 Likes

Foothills above Boise, Idaho. The land is preserved as a non-motorized trail system.

!

12 Likes

Idaho is beautiful country. I hope to make it there someday to see the red rocks in person.

The red here from the setting sun. For real red rocks, Utah is the place!

2 Likes

Beautiful country, and a great place to live.

1 Like

Rust on a column

8 Likes

Looks to be a juvenile Common Starling.

9 Likes

Frost

6 Likes

Cover for a valve box in the grounds of the Scottish Gallery of Modern Art

5 Likes

Thanks. The European starling is not a bird I recall seeing before.

1 Like

Did you know…?
The starling’s ability to break down alcohol is 14 times as effective as in humans.
This property is especially beneficial to young birds, as fruits and berries are an important part of their food, and fruits and berries when fermented contain alcohol.

Staring when flying in flocks and being attacked by birds of prey can defend itself by bombarding them with flies and bird droppings, which stick the plumage of the birds of prey together, so that the bird of prey loses its ability to fly.
In some cases, it has been observed that the birds of prey have drowned after being “shot” over water.

The starling has solved the problem of annoying pests by waging some form of chemical warfare. It smells of green plants, which secrete natural insecticides, and feeds its nest with them. With a plant like Tagetes in the nest, it can thus reduce a lice infestation by up to 80%. At least 25 plant species, including Wormwood and Cowslip, are used in the starling’s control of fleas, lice and mites.

4 Likes