Portable Acoustic Treatments

Brett,
Have you tried moving it around the room to see if that makes an audible difference?

No, only in the one corner that it can be hidden. I don’t have any other options. It’s our living room and she already puts up with 2 subs and stand mounts. Plus a passive GoldenEar speaker bar for HT.

I have two GIK bass absorbers under and behind the couch and they help as much if not more than the active device. I also have a trio of 2" absorbers for sucking up reflections and they too work very well. I put these away when not listening.

I’ve been curious about these devices and dug up the 2016 Sereophile review: https://www.stereophile.com/content/psi-audio-avaa-c20-electronic-bass-trap

My takeaway from the review is that they work, but they are not a"silver bullet" to cure room acoustic ills. Unfortunate, as I could use such.

Bob Katz bought the review samples (logically, the were probably deducted as a business expense), but he describes them as “polishing” the response of a room that had few issues to begin with.

To be honest, modal calculations mirror your response graphs with fairly high accuracy. Dealing with the room modes will assist you in taming your response curves.

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=21&w=11&h=10&ft=true&re=ITU%20listening%20room

Very cool room mode calculator. Thanks!

@Barsley - or going convolution filtering is another approach…
The trouble with room calculators is that most rooms are not basic geometry. The calculators are cool to contemplate issues and get you to think about modes… most rooms have very complex geometry. Like when you looked at the picture of my music room and probably assumed it was rectangular 21ft X 11ft X 10ft as I had indicated… here is the back end of the room… REW has similar analysis, just don’t get to hear the cool tones…

Oh I saw the shots you posted earlier, but even with the doorways the way that they are, the basic volume of the room still remains the same, it will just have additional reflections at some frequencies, but in low frequency response, where the room plays a vital role, would not change that much by reason of those protrusions. The modals show that in comparison to your initial sweeps. The actual room size is not the most conducive for Bolt Area for acoustic room dimensions, but you could use some absorption to help in those critical areas from about 100Hz to 200Hz.

@Barsley - had enough fun with treatments, going to do it the old fashion way, convolution filtering. Since I have measured the room already, my Roon Nucleus+ parametric equalizer (DSP) works amazing! I absolutely love my music room now… next step is to introduce convolution filtering… I will still play around with the treatments because CF is not the total solution, both together solves the room issues…

I do know a lot of people who try to use room treatments for very low frequencies, (below 100Hz) and oft find it frustrating, and this is simply due to the fact in smaller rooms, you really don’t have any control. Using modal data to assist in placement is what can and will lead you to a better selected area for driver location, but most panels and treatments aren’t real effective at 40Hz. When you start focusing on those room dominant frequencies that you really shouldn’t try to use EQ for, (100Hz and above) it becomes a much more doable solution. Good luck in your setup.

I’ve found happiness with my four PSI Audio AVAAs (together with two PS Audio P20s):

Today, I placed it in a front corner, about 1’ out from each boundary that is the corner and it’s a good bit more effective. If I put it on casters I could roll it into storage between uses.

It does help the ringing a good bit in this not wife-acceptable location.