Power amp shorts its inputs in standby ...

nordicbob said: What did the Ayre support tell you? A defective unit?

Michael [Ayre's support] was very cooperative.
The answare was:
"The 140mV would indeed be higher than what we would send the amp from the factory with. However, the measurement is not something to be overly concerned with still"

nordicbob said: So we shouldn't trust our ears?

As I have already written here, I really love the sound of some NAD's amplifiers [even more than AYRE's and many others]. But they have a bad reputation with reliability.
So .. I'm like you, looking for the best sound for a given budget.
But reliability, and build quality is also very important.

I also would like to know, if anyone here have listened/own W4S mAmp monos. Karl Sigman from Audiophilia was wery impressed by PWD-mAmp-PL200 system. http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=11148

The second very interesting amplifiers are one of Simaudio Evolution Line.

@valer_valer

nordicbob said: What did the Ayre support tell you? A defective unit?

Michael [Ayre’s support] was very cooperative.

The answare was:

“The 140mV would indeed be higher than what we would send the amp from the factory with. However, the measurement is not something to be overly concerned with still”

nordicbob said: So we shouldn’t trust our ears?

As I have already written here, I really love the sound of some NAD’s amplifiers [even more than AYRE’s and many others]. But they have a bad reputation with reliability.

So … I’m like you, looking for the best sound for a given budget.

But reliability, and build quality is also very important.

Interesting. Thanks and good to hear that you got a reply from Ayre. You might also run what you found by Charles Hansen, the head man of Ayre over at AVS forum. He is very active over there recently. It would be interesting to see what he says about what you found. Here is the link.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1181755/ayre-dx-5-bluray-player/1290#post_23878801

Did you mean that Ayre, NAD, or both have "a bad reputation with reliability?

Thanks,

Bob

Good to see Hansen back in action, after a long hospitalization …

nordicbob said: Did you mean that Ayre, NAD, or both have "a bad reputation with reliability?

No, just budget models of NAD.

@valer_valer

I am so sorry to hear that Charles was in the hospital. I wish him the best.

Thanks for the detective work on DC offset on the VX-5 amp. I am not a technical person, but looked it up and read about it and the problems that it can cause.

I like to support small companies like Ayre, PS Audio, etc. as long as they make good sounding products, are reliable, and have excellent customer support.

Thanks,

Bob