Preamps that work with the DS/PWD

magister said
alcarp said Wow !!! A lot of folks using a preamp with the DSD.

On the other hand, I continue to be surprised by how many people don’t use preamps. Putting aside issues of sound quality, I would find it difficult to go without my turntable, FM tuner, and SACD player. And I run a bi-amped setup, so it’s not convenient for me even to do a test without the preamp since I would need some adapters or different cables. And it sounds so darn good with the preamp that I confess I am not motivated to get the cables.

I hear you. I have two inputs on my amp, so I can run a preamp (Decware CSP2+) into one input for my phono preamp and SACD player, and run the PWD Mk II straight into the other input.

I was really surprised that I prefer the PWD Mk II without a preamp after running it with one for years, but I do. Looking forward to trying the DS both ways.

wijnand said
Ted Smith said The DS has a lower noise hump than a typical SACD player. If your preamp has a bandwidth greater than about 100k then you amp is already getting the modest noise hump from the DS.
Thanks Ted, but I'm not sure if I completely understand what you say. I have a sample of the specs of my preamp.

With the PWD I once had a pop that tripped my poweramp to protect my speakers.

I misunderstood what kind of noise you were worried about. I was referring to ultrasonic noise (which isn't a problem in your setup.)

What are the odds that a big pop from the DS will hurt you amps? I don’t know. We take all precautions but since software is involved the chance of bugs is non-0. We’ve already has a case where the software crashes with certain bridge accesses (fixed now). Most amps won’t mind a rude input now and then, but you never know…

magister said
alcarp said Wow !!! A lot of folks using a preamp with the DSD.

On the other hand, I continue to be surprised by how many people don’t use preamps. Putting aside issues of sound quality, I would find it difficult to go without my turntable, FM tuner, and SACD player. And I run a bi-amped setup, so it’s not convenient for me even to do a test without the preamp since I would need some adapters or different cables. And it sounds so darn good with the preamp that I confess I am not motivated to get the cables.

My thoughts exactly.

I am running the Direct Stream to my BSG QOL and then to my Pass Labs Amp. Thus not using any Preamp. The QOL does have a balanced 10Vrms 50 ohm output. Great combo.

I have tried using the DS into mono amps and it sounded wonderful but there was just something missing can’t put my finger on it , to say just what it was so , I went back to using a pre amp Rouge Audio Athena and there is a slight loss of detail but it so much better to listen to that it’s worth that very slight loss but only if I try to listen for it would I notice.