Problem With MemoryWave Transport

Hi…hoping someone can help me out.

When listening to a CD on the Memory Player and a song segues into another (ie. there is no gap- the track changes but the music does not stop) I sometimes hear a little digital sounding click as the track changes.

So for example if song A segues into song B, at the very last split second of song A there is a slight click sound as it flows into song B.

An example of this happening would be on the latest Pink Floyd (Endless River) as song 12 turns into song 13. I checked other CD’s I have with songs segueing into one another and it happens on some and on others it doesn’t.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome!

Is this a new issue?

Is the click audible through the speakers/headphones, or is the click something the PWT itself makes?

Hi…

I’ve only had the player a month or so and it’s been happening since I bought it. The sound is coming from the speakers…it’s not from the unit itself.

Very odd.

I would start by upgrading the firmware to the latest version (see, click) and determining if this helps.

A CD player should ignore track index markers while playing a CD from beginning to end. The datastream containing the music is continuous. The track markers are simply pointers located in the CD’s TOC (table of contents) which is referenced only when the user pushes a control button. If the PWT is referencing these in any way while playing, I suspect a firmware issue.

But if it is a firmware issue, the clicks should happen whether the disc contains gapless tracks or not. The datastream is continuous in both cases. That is, whether the music of one track immediately leads into another or there is silence between tracks looks exactly the same to the player. The later case simply has digital silence instead of music for a couple of seconds within the music datastream.

I checked and the firmware installed on the player is 1.22 which appears to be the latest version. Would you recommend going down to 1.21?

I would try it. It is possible the firmware became corrupted or did not initially load properly. If this takes care of it, then go back to 1.22.

I get this problem frequently. when starting up the disc i get a tick or pop. if advancing to a new track i also get this issue.

other issues i have with the PWT is that if i leave a cd in the drawer after it has finished for an hour or so i will need to power cycle

the unit from the back switch in order to get the cd to eject.

i put a cd on repeat to run in my equipment. the CD played all day but when trying to eject the disc it would not. seems like there is a time out

on some of the functionality. i had to reboot from the back switch

don dac said I get this problem frequently. when starting up the disc i get a tick or pop. if advancing to a new track i also get this issue.
The OP's issue is different. He hears a slight click as one gapless track segues into the next. Decidedly odd.

I forgot to aks the OP this, but what DAC are each of you using?

pwd II

Do you have the issue with any other DAC?

Are these Redbook CDs or are they DVDs that you have burned for use on the PWT?

redbook. i don’t have other equipment to try. originally i bought the PWD to use the bridge. after weeks of frustration

i bought the PWT so i could listen to music. I have it connected via I2S. I think I had the same issue with coax.

Hmm.

As with the OP, I would try loading an earlier firmware version, checking, and going back to the latest firmware.

Elk said I would try it. It is possible the firmware became corrupted or did not initially load properly. If this takes care of it, then go back to 1.22.

Unfortunately that didn’t work. I tried .21 which didn’t fix it so I went back to .22 but had the same result.

I too have the issue the other poster mentioned where if I haven’t shut it down completely from the back after a couple of days it seems to get stuck and won’t play or eject…a power cycle fixes it though. That was going to be mu next issue to work on once I got the segue issue fixed.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Unfortunately, I am out of ideas other than to try another connection from the PWT to DAC to determine if this makes a difference.

I’ve heard this click as well on mine. I am not sure what to think of it, but I believe some circumstances set it off. I hear it sometimes between different sample rates or when the unit’s been sitting on pause for a while. It’s definitely a little quirky.

Paul-

Glad to see a response from you. Any plans for a firmware update to possibly fix the tick/pop issue along with drawer eject issues?

The reason I bought the PWD was because of problems I was having with the bridge. I was hoping for a product without quirks.

We haven’t any upgrade plans at the moment. The unit’s getting on in age and eventually we will replace it.

“We haven’t any upgrade plans at the moment. The unit’s getting on in age and eventually we will replace it.”

Hello Paul,I’m a new member here…I just purchased the Memory Player along with the Direct Stream dac. Waiting on delivery as I type.

Are you saying in your reply that I just purchased a product that has known problems? And that product is going to be replaced? That does not give me much confidence in my purchase decision.

Comment please…Thank-you…mark-d

The Memory Player will someday be replaced, as will anything we have ever designed. The question is when? We haven’t started a project to replace the Memory Player and therefore, since projects for us take at least one year to complete, I wouldn’t expect anything in 2015. There are currently no concrete plans to replace the product - a product that still is quite popular and what I use daily - so I wouldn’t be concerned at this point.

Paul McGowan said I've heard this click as well on mine. I am not sure what to think of it, but I believe some circumstances set it off. I hear it sometimes between different sample rates or when the unit's been sitting on pause for a while. It's definitely a little quirky.
Paul,thanks for the reply on the future of the Memory Player,any good piece of kit will eventuallly be improved upon I suppose.wink

Are there any other quirky little things that I should be aware of besides the clicks and drawer eject issues that were mentioned thus far? I would like to be in the know when I set up the the DS and MP. Any info appreciated.

Regards,

Mark