Problem with streaming DXD/32 bit with minimServer to DirectStream DAC

Does anybody perhaps know if MinimServer is able to stream DXD/32 bit to the DirectStream USB input. In the middle I also have an sotm sms-200 Ultra Neo (converting Ethernet to USB).

The (small) problem is that both the DirectStream (with Sunlight) as well as mconnect for Ios are reporting 352.8khz with 24 bit now.

Thanks

In my case Roon is reporting 32 bit, but DS DAC display reports 24 bit. As long as it sounds good, I am grateful.

Yes thanks, it also sounds great on my DS. Just trying to get smarter with DXD/32…

1 Like

The spec sheet mentions 24 bit only:
I2S, and USB — 44.1kHz to 352.8kHz 16bit, 24bit, DSD 64, DSD 128 (I2S DSD 256 with Sunlight update)
TOSLINK – 44.1kHz to 96kHz 16bit, 24bit
XLR (AES/EBU)S/PDIF (coax)– 44.1kHz to 192kHz 16bit, 24bit, DSD 64

Thanks Serhan, but I think the problem lies with MinimServer (as mconnect is also reporting 24 bit…)

The original file may have 32 bits, but only 24 bits go to any DAC thru standard connections (TOSLink, S/PDIF, AES3.) In the case of I2S the DS doesn’t pay attention to more than 24 bits either so it won’t see 32 bits from USB or the bridge if they happen to send them either.

The lower order bits beyond the 24th are way below any practical noise floor.

2 Likes

So I was fooled again by the marketing boys promoting DXD/32 bit…:smile: It would perhaps be better to buy this album in DSD/128 instead:

1 Like

DSD is a good option and a strength of the DS DAC. Also, I enjoyed wav 192 by Octave Records.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. The DS DAC sounds great.

The DirectStream (with Sunlight) realy comes alive with DSD/128 using my high end CrystalCable Diamond USB cable!

1 Like

Nice performance. Did you check the equipment sheet? I found it quite interesting.