PS Audio AirLens

Good one!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

ok, i had to google this. “Small-Form Pluggable.”

What does this get a person?

Optical/less “noise”, correct @vkennedy61 ?

It allows you to plug a fiber cable into the back instead copper ethernet. Ethernet is galvanically isolated already but some people would rather carry their data into the back of the device using photons. The SFP still has an electrical transceiver on it and requires more power than a traditional copper PHY. They add consider expense to the manufacturing (especially if the device has both a SFP and traditional RJ45 jack instead of using a RJ45 SFP). The other advantage, although I’ve not seen anyone actually do this, is if the SFP slot has enough power you could use a single mode, high power, SFP and keep your streamer 10 kilometers+ away from your server / network. That’s not something you can do with copper.

1 Like

interesting, but begs the question as to what the rest of one’s home network consists of, yes?

I run ethernet through the house for all my streamers, raspberry Pi’s, Airports, Apple TV’s, etc… But no internal fiber.

2 Likes

But do the sfp create noise? It is a device that do high frequency modulation of light.

FYI, all three Sonore optical devices (Signature Rendu, opticalRendu and Optical Module) utilize SFPs. Very easy to implement in their products. Have no idea about the SFPs generating noise. System works great for me. I think it’s a solid recommendation for the AirLens.

3 Likes

A CD player was so much easier …

1 Like

You simply plug in the module of your choice.

In my case I have a core switch in the basement. On the core it has SFP ports in which I’ve plugged in a Fiber module. That fiber then goes to a small switch in my media cabinet (about 50’ away) that also has SFP ports. From there I take another fiber cable and attach it to a Sonore opticalRendu.

Ethernet SFP:

Fiber SFP:

Switch with SFP ports:

4 Likes

Anyone interested in a betting pool on how long this is going to last?

7 Likes

Let’s put it this way, they were not engineered with concerns to barely audible noise.

I know the fiber has galvanic isolation. And longer runs used to be a problem using copper. But I just went 10G copper at home. It is rated for 50 meters using Cat 6 cable. And I actually have Cat 7 in the walls. I used to run four lines at 1G each to each media room or home office in the house. Now it is just one per room, with unmanaged switches. Hopefully the later galvanic isolation in the AirLens will do for my sound!

Doesn’t the outcome of an event have to be somewhat in doubt in order for two individuals to place a wager?

5 Likes

My dreams of cashing in have been dashed by logic.

2 Likes

I’m in for $100.00

2 Likes

Chances of a Grimm final outcome seem slim to none. If it were a cable…… it would be absolutely zero.

3 Likes

I’m sad the Pink Faun only lasted 4 months.

1 Like

Lasted? Don’t you still own it installed or otherwise?

It’s still in its rack space, plugged in and powered down.

1 Like

Do you keep the older gear as a safety net?