PWT, program function

Hello,

This question has probably been answered a hundred times, but I have searched to the best of my ability, to no avail: Is there a specific reason why the PWT does not have a “program track” function? A mismatch with the buffer memory function?

Just curious. I definitely miss the program function, but I like the PWT.

Welcome, rfprice!

Occasionally the topic comes up on wish lists for the PWT.

You raise an interesting point. The buffer would necessarily slow down track jumps as it would need to load after being told where to go next, and then play. But I doubt this would be of much concern for those that want to program custom track order; it is not as if gapless is an issue at this point.

It is not a function I would ever use. Is it common feature on high end players? I think of this sort of thing as a mass-market consumer marketing tool for Emerson, etc. and for DVD players. But I have been wrong many times before. :)

Hi Elk, and thanks for the welcome. Yes, I am new here, and have recently–over the last six months–acquired an entire stable of PS Audio products. One after another.

I can’t say whether program-track is common on high-end players. Likewise, I couldn’t guess the purpose for which most people use program-track. I, however, use it for musical pieces that have more than one movement: symphonic, for example, but also partitas, trios, sonatas, program pieces, etc, and of course jazz compositions, etc. Opera acts and scenes. A single disc might contain several musical pieces. Typically the disc will have a longer silent space between complete pieces, and if you are attentive then you might catch it. However, more modern pieces don’t always end with a climactic crescendo marking the end, and the prolonged silence might indicate the end of the piece or it might merely indicate an extended transition to the next movement. Regardless of those considerations, it is also sometimes nice for the machine to stop itself at the end of the piece, and to enjoy the silent decay of the music in the air without the disruption of the next piece beginning after five seconds, or the disruption of needing to grab around for the remote. (Especially if I’m listening with headphones in a different room.) But that’s just how I listen. Personally I would enjoy a program-track function.

This is a really near use of the function and one I had not thought of. As a classical nerd myself, this really appeals.

Letting a piece settle with silence is very satisfying, like sitting quietly after finishing an excellent book.

Yes, I think so. Frankly I think that program-track function is much more relevant to high-end players (i.e. listeners) rather than to mass-market consumer players. Seems to me that if a person is listening to pop on a mass-market player, then the person is probably quite content to let the disc play straight through. But then again, I’m sure they would also have reasons to want to program a playlist. I know that when my sister’s children were infants, she would often cue up a program piece that they liked, usually a ballet, and then put it on repeat as they were going to sleep. Then she would go back to the room and turn it off after a couple of hours. Yeah, program-track is great, the more I think about it. I hope PS Audio will develop it, if it’s feasible.