Qobuz or Tidal?

Started my free trial of Qobuz, had Tidal a while back on and off for about a year. Roon from Mac mini itunes set up. Matrix Audio usb to I2S. External mac linear power supply

Which of the two has a deeper classical selection?

I am not a classical listener but I think Qobuz has a lot bigger classical library. They also have a lot larger rock, jazz, country, and other modern selections than I thought they would have. I have cancelled my Tidal subscription and am completely satisfied with Qobuz’s selection. The other caveat is if you want to purchase the material Qobuz prices are as good or better than an of the music sales sites. I use Roon as a host for both my local library and Qobuz service.

1 Like

I listen to some classical/choral, for which I think Qobuz has a more extensive library of good recordings.

2 Likes

I subscribe to both but if forced to choose Qobuz for SQ 95 percent of time. I do find different pieces on Tidal that sometimes sound fuller. So if a piece is lean I queue up Tidal. I do wish Roon played Tidal videos and concerts. I go back to Apple TV and split out the HDMI to an optical feed to the DSD Sr for that 2 channel need. Do wish it could be sent through the matrix and get the i2S magic done to it but still better than just plane jane HDMI to my processors DAC which is no slouch bit not up to Ted’s algorithms. Anybody make a HDMI spitter with USB out?

Does anyone with experience with both services (or Amazon as a third alternative) have an opinion on which service has a better library for blues and jazz music? Is it close or is one markedly better than the other on these two specific genres?

I think this has been suggested before: I recommend that you subscribe to both, simultaneously on a trial basis. I have a hunch you will declare your personal “winner” pretty darn quickly.

FWIW, I am a lifetime Roon subscriber and I tried Qobuz and Tidal and chose to keep them both. Running Qobuz and Tidal on the Roon platform is an unbelievably convenient way to explore and enjoy new music as well as old favorites. Roon’s much improved Radio feature means I can pick a track I really enjoy and let the Roon algorithm work its magic finding equally enjoyable and, most importantly, new music.

Have fun.

3 Likes

was gonna reply with my own elaborate response, but @scotte1 pretty much answered for me.

Lifetime Roon, subscribe to both Q and T.

Party on. :metal:

3 Likes

I’m currently using both, having maintained my sub to Tidal Hi-Fi when trying out Qobuz.

My go-to is Qobuz, and better than 90% of the stuff I’m seeking can be found there. I’m not heavily into Classical music, but my feeling is that the Qobuz catalog is deeper.

If a title is not on Qobuz (usually contemporary, jazz or pop), most all of the time I can find it on Tidal.

I’m not Roonie, and If I had to pick one over the other, it would be Qobuz because:

• I think the SQ is marginally better
  • I prefer true Hi-Res to MQA
  • I have a sublime subscription, and the download prices for CD and Hi Res quality are quite good in most cases - better than other sources for the same titles - and enough to “pay” for the additional charge for Sublime.
  • Tidal will occasionally “lose” tracks and albums in saved playlists. In most all cases a new search for the title will find it. A support response from Tidal indicated that the file was probably relocated to a different server and now has new “address.” Have no idea if this is true, but I have never had this happen with Qobuz.
  • Searches on Tidal via the Aurender Conductor app default to “MQA Masters” only and I have to toggle to a general search category (just one click, but I find it needlessly annoying).
  • Tidal’s new release page seems to give undue prominence to Hip-Hop and rap. Not a fan but , hey, it’s Jay Z’s baby and he can do what he wants with it.
1 Like

AmazonHD is excellent but no 3rd party support so no BitPerfect for Audirvana, JRiver, or Roon. I have Audirvana but noticed no difference in sound quality but it at least auto-cataloged my music files.

There’s as much Snake Oil in the Digital World as there is in the Analog World !

I feal the same way. Since I listen to classical and jazz I like Qobuz. If I was into rock and contemporary music I would go with Tidel. The technical nits are less important then THE MUSIC

1 Like

Tidal is my favorite HIFI streaming service cuz it offers great content to rap fans. It has extra content like interviews and music vids and expansive liner notes. Qobuz and Amazon HD are not better than it in my mind. And I just found AudKit, a kind of Tidal music converter yesterday. Now I am testing its features. Curious to hear if anyone has more info on this program and has a comparison between the Tidal-downloaded FLAC files from AudKit.

Welcome @John_Weems. Sound quality wise? Qobuz no contest sounds better! As far as Rap and hip hop content Tidal wins that contest.

1 Like

I don’t think MQA can mess up Rap and Hip Hop. Can it??

1 Like

Roon user, have used both, prefer Quboz because they offer true 24 bit instead of soon to be obsolete MQA.

I do wonder about the long term viability of both Tidal and Quboz. Amazon now offers their HD service for $7.99 per month. No Roon integration yet, but Roon is obscure anyway. How long can the small streaming outfits survive with that sort of viscous pressure from Amazon?

??? When was this announced?

Seems to me like you found the right streaming service for your needs (which is awesome). I believe Hip Hop/Rap is the most popular genre in the US so enjoy!

LIke you I would rate Tidal as my favorite but Qobuz is also good.

That’s only my extrapolation. It’s difficult to see it surviving when genuine 24 bit can be streamed. And only Tidal has gotten behind MQA. In my crystal ball, difficult to see MQA, or even Tidal surviving.

I think this is the most interesting question regarding streaming over the next few years.

I am totally guessing but I think TIDAL may be more at risk than Qobuz. The latter has a very small staff which could be good for longevity as long as there’s a niche for consumers who want these deep integrations (Roon, streamers, super integrated amps).

I’m just wondering if TIDAL will see subscription losses to Apple, Spotify and even Amazon?

1 Like

AmazonHD. No difference in audio quality from Qobuz. The stigma that’s it’s “Amazon” is why Audiophiles won’t take them seriously.