Qobuz vs Tidal

I canceled my over a year ago, as I had some problems accessing Tidal at the time. Ultimately resolved. No phone number, emails worked to a point and to cancel do access the account management screen. Cancellation effective the next billing cycle/month. I also removed all payment methods simultaneously; belts and suspenders approach. Good luck with the change.

1 Like

Tidal Support has online chat…

2 Likes

Done. Thanks.

2 Likes

@scotte1 What prompted the close of your TIDAL sub?

Just decided to roll with Qobuz, rather than keep both accounts.

Nothing more, really…

I chose Tidal, due to the brand new reason for it to that finally exists in life:
8 smart custom playlists of music I don’t own.
That factor wins alone. After that, Qobuz won for finally having a default player that doesn’t sound insultingly bad. However, both work on the best player that has been created yet, Audirvana Studio. Tidal has to lose at sound quality, for now, because they had been trying out an audio scam that made their higher res tracks sound worse than the 44.1 originals did. They have dropped that, and are for some reason slowly reverting selections to normal non-MQA versions, although that operation could be done in a couple of hours with the right script. Normal FLAC versions sound the same as Qobuz versions through Audirvana, which means you only get a bit of noise from the internet streaming, compared to reference local FLAC playback. If I own a file, I decompress it, for improved reference playback, however. If you have only ever been listening to your personal files as FLAC’s, you should try uncompressed, thinking it should remove a processing noise factor.
Qobuz browsing for new stuff was the same 2 pages for 3 months, and my custom playlist never had anything to do with anything I cared about. It was fine for looking up stuff, and it’s default player beat Tidal’s in sound quality, so it was good during gaming, but Tidal will newly beat sq, because of how good my new music suggestions are, for 8 different styles of music, too!
8 smart custom playlists overtook SQ for me, with Tidal, although I would probably get Qobuz also if it didn’t, for better streaming quality that is cheap. However, Audirvana Studio gets my extra $10 subscription money, for being the best option possible, a player that wins the sound quality competition first, and then includes support for Tidal and Qobuz streaming on top of that.
Now, I just have to find a place to complain that Tidal has no official forum, so I have to place to go to only have to care about any Tidal gripes I may have. Nobody from Tidal is going to see this here and start that, though, :frowning:

I believe TIDAL’s pricing plans collapse in the next 24 hours.

This will be gone soon.

Qobuz and Tidal are two popular high-resolution music streaming services that cater to audiophiles and music enthusiasts. Both platforms offer unique features and benefits, and the choice between them often depends on personal preferences and specific needs. Here’s a comparison of Qobuz and Tidal:

Audio Quality

• Qobuz:
    • Offers high-resolution audio streaming up to 24-bit/192 kHz.
    • Provides lossless FLAC files, ensuring high-quality audio without compression artifacts.
  • Tidal:
    • Offers HiFi and Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) streaming.
    • HiFi streams at CD quality (16-bit/44.1 kHz), while HiRes FLAC/MQA streams offer higher resolution up to 24-bit/96 kHz and beyond.
    • MQA files are smaller in size compared to traditional high-res files, which can be beneficial for streaming.

Music Catalog

• Qobuz:
    • Extensive catalog with over 100 million tracks.
    • Focuses on high-resolution audio and a rich selection of classical, jazz, and other niche genres.
    • Provides extensive album booklets and editorial content.
  • Tidal:
    • Over 110 million tracks in its catalog.
    • Strong focus on hip-hop, R&B, and popular genres, but also covers a wide range of music.
    • Offers exclusive content, including artist interviews, playlists, and Tidal X concerts.

User Interface and Experience

• Qobuz:
    • Clean and straightforward user interface.
    • Emphasizes detailed album information, including liner notes and booklets.
    • Suitable for users who appreciate detailed metadata and editorial content.
  • Tidal:
    • Modern and visually appealing interface.
    • Provides a range of curated playlists, videos, and exclusive content.
    • Integrated seamlessly with various devices and platforms, including support for smart TVs, streaming devices, and car systems.

Pricing

• Qobuz:
    • Offers several subscription tiers, including Studio Premier (Hi-Res streaming) and Sublime+ (Hi-Res streaming with discounts on Hi-Res purchases).
    • Prices vary depending on the region but are generally comparable to other high-res streaming services.
  • Tidal:
    • Offers multiple subscription plans, including Premium (standard quality) and HiFi (lossless and MQA).
    • Prices are slightly higher for HiFi and Master quality plans but offer family plans and student discounts.

Device Compatibility

• Qobuz:
    • Available on various platforms, including Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and web browsers.
    • Compatible with a wide range of high-end audio equipment and software, such as Roon.
  • Tidal:
    • Also available on multiple platforms, including Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and web browsers.
    • Use DRmare Tidal Music Converter to download Tidal music to MP3, FLAC, etc. You can play them anywhere.
    • Integrates with numerous audio systems, including Sonos, Bluesound, and Roon, and supports Tidal Connect for direct streaming to compatible devices.

Offline Listening

• Qobuz:
    • Allows offline listening by downloading tracks, albums, and playlists.
    • Downloads are stored in high-resolution formats.
  • Tidal:
    • Also supports offline listening with the ability to download music for offline playback.
    • Downloads are available in the quality tier you are subscribed to (Standard, HiFi, or MQA).

Conclusion

• Choose Qobuz if:
    • You prioritize the highest possible audio quality and detailed album information.
    • You have a strong interest in classical, jazz, and niche genres.
    • You value high-resolution downloads and editorial content.
  • Choose Tidal if:
    • You enjoy a wide range of genres, particularly hip-hop and R&B.
    • You want access to exclusive content and artist features.
    • You appreciate a modern interface and seamless integration with various devices and platforms.

Ultimately, both services offer excellent sound quality and extensive music catalogs, so the choice will depend on your specific preferences and listening habits.

8 Likes

Very well said. Thank you for the accurate comparison.