Quote of the Day

“No place to run …no place to hide…”

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

John Emerich Dalton  Baron Acton. 1834-1902.
2 Likes

“Monsters live such interesting lives”

“But they sure as heck won’t like the end of it…though”

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.” ― Winston S. Churchill

3 Likes

“Some people… SOME PEOPLE like cupcakes better (but) I for one, could care LESS for them!”
― Frank Zappa

Too bad for 'ole Zappa

Folks, this is intended to be a fun thread, not political commentary.

Let’s please return to civility and amusement.

I am closing this thread temporarily to let things cool.

I will reopen it in a bit.

Henry Ford - “Whether You Believe You Can, Or You Can’t, You Are Right”

1 Like

The thing that doesn’t fit is the thing that’s the most interesting: the part that doesn’t go according to what you expected. - Richard P. Feynman

4 Likes

“Pardon me while I whip this out”
Sheriff Bart

2 Likes

“The situation is hopeless, but it’s not serious.”

Seemed like an appropriate quote for the times. I’ve heard this from time to time, but wanted to track down the origins. One seems to be a 1965 comedy film “Situation Hopeless … But Not Serious,” but pulling on the thread further revealed this tome I’ve never heard of:

From a review of the book:

With so many effective ways to create unhappiness, small wonder that one can continue along unhappy for a lifetime, when merely stopping one’s pursuit of unhappiness would allow one to be happy in a moment. “The situation is hopeless,” Watzlawick ends his small book saying, “and the solution is hopelessly simple.”

3 Likes

Very true - and very Zen.

2 Likes

I have been a victim of failure to see the obvious many times.
Peace

Anyone who has tried to make things idiot proof is always amazed by the resourcefulness of idiots.

5 Likes

“Creative people are curious, flexible, persistent, and independent with a tremendous spirit of adventure and a love of play.”

• Henri Matisse
2 Likes

“When I came home I expected a surprise and there was no surprise for me, so of course, I was surprised.”

― Ludwig Wittgenstein

Peace
Bruce in Philly

1 Like