Redcloud for DS is live

Same here Ben. Some might even, gulp, have moved on to non-PSA equipment. Or so I’ve heard. Probably just rumors.

The P300 was amazing. I still have mine, although it’s no longer in use (still works as far as I know). The idea that you can actually change the frequency of the power (and the shape of the waveform) still boggles my mind, even though I understand how it worked. I’m sure that someday I’ll find a place for it. And the P300 was just the beginning of the reborn PS Audio. Think about everything that has come since. It’s astounding what these folks have accomplished. All while maintaining the best customer service in the business. (I do wish a way could be found to get brodricj’s DSJ working properly.)

I was thinking about trying out a P300. Would one be able to power a system like mine? Or maybe two? I’m going to see if I can find one cheap on eBay or audiogon. I’m nervous to invest a lot into power conditioning/regeneration sight unseen (or I suppose sound unheard?).

If you buy one of PSA’s regenerators currently in production directly from them, you have a 30-day in home trial. So there’s no risk. If your experience is similar to mine (P5), it won’t go back!

Seegs108 said I was thinking about trying out a P300. Would one be able to power a system like mine?
The P300 only produces a recommended load of 200W of clean power. It is good for a source component or a preamp, perhaps both depending on their power draw.

I remember seeing P300 for the first time, on display in Hong Kong in 1999 (where I was working at the time). Not many products leave such a lasting impression, particularly in audio where the latest piece usually gets moved on after a few years and forgotten about soon after. P300 was the first of the product genre. And look where we are now, on the verge of a P20 yet P300 is still being talked about.

jazznut said

I thought community leader is maybe just a role depending on one’s number of posts, as quite a few are rarely to not moderating at all in my perception (other than ELK)…

Affiliation with the community leader group was by invitation of PS Audio. You are correct that Elk does most of the heavy lifting in forum moderation, however the other community leaders do manoeuvre behind the scenes in various ways, whether that be in beta testing, local advocation of the brand, and in other ways. Paul has always encouraged open discussion and respectful free opinion, at times that means warts and all. Paul wrote on this topic recently. We might be described as a family, every family has its issues, good, bad and indifferent. But the glue that binds us all is the sense of inclusion and belonging that comes with being family.

Indeed and family is how I would describe us - but in no way a closed family where outsiders have to earn their way in. Think of us more as an open family welcoming new members with open arms.

I originally came up with the idea of a group of Community leaders and a forum leader because back then I was really the only person at PS who paid close attention to these forums. I needed help and still need help answering the many questions. Now that others in the company, including the wonderful contributions of Ted Smith and the occasional musings of Bascom King and Darren Meyers, are included, life’s even better.

But we still rely upon the generous contributions of our community members to answer questions - questions which many times I simply do not know the answer to and others do.

I will tell you that we are going to upgrade these forums in the next few weeks. And we could use some help. Any of you willing to contribute would be appreciated.

I am going to post over in the forums category.

1 Like

I am somewhat ambivalent about forums. If they become a substitute for one-on-one service assistance, I am in the “hate” category. If they supplement the one-on-one service assistance, I am in the “love” category.

With my limited 3 week experience with a PS Audio DS, I am “loving” these forums.

But to give an example of my very worse experience, I refer to a well known media center provider. If you need assistance you need to post on the forums. You may or may not be posting in the right forum, in which case, you are advised of that or in the worst case, your query sits in limbo. Often time someone, who is not expert chimes in and gives you bad advice. Moderators do nothing. The forums are a mess, with product lines overlapping, instruction manuals years behind in updates, etc., etc.,…

So here is my 2c. Please keep the one-on-one service assistance, and moderators please stay on top of the forums and consolidate threads when appropriate. So far with my limited experience you are doing great. Keep up the great work.

I am still gaga over the sound of red cloud. Acoustic guitar is just phenomenal. Listened to Dave Matthews /Tim Reynolds Live at Luther College the other night and had a moment. You hear the initial pluck , the reverberation of the string , and the resonant sound in the hollow body of the guitar. It’s crazy. I continue to post on it because it’s almost like I keep getting these little surprises. It’s great.

Yes, micro-dynamics and precise timbre also make me quivery happy.

In defense of the “media center” provider, there is a big difference between a $6,000 dollar product and a $50 dollar product. I am a big fan of both and understand the very different business model. This comes from one who is often frustrated by the “media center” approach. It is a much more self help system. BTW, it took me a good effort today to learn how to stream my music, on my server, to my mobile device, using MC, outside my local network. The site was modestly helpful. It does require some digging in to solve. I now have access to all my beloved music with my custom way of organizing it anywhere in the world with WiFi or cellular data service. Pretty great!!

What I love about this place is it’s 99.9% friendly. I’m not interested in internet anger. Life is hard enough.

amsco15 said BTW, it took me a good effort today to learn how to stream my music, on my server, to my mobile device, using MC, outside my local network.
Are others doing this? It sounds slick.

I don’t know. It is slick. My motivation to finally figure it out is an upcoming ski trip to Colorado. Renting a great house and I’m the DJ during evening festivities. I don’t like algorithms picking music.

There are two different ways to achieve this using MC: a device software program that communicates with MC Called JRemote or a web browser based approach they call Panel. I prefer the JRemote solution but both work.

Yes ELK, I’m also doing this with JRiver and I already mentioned it somewhere here as a wish for Octave, too.

But this is something one could continue to do with JRiver (with its own separate library) even when Octave isn’t able to support it, as other than Bridge III, our Tablets which we use outside of our network continue to support DLNA.

It seems JRiver is currently also providing a browser based GUI as amsco15 mentioned. At a first look as expected this seems to be much much worse than the dedicated app Jremote. There are too many wishes for Octave to mention when getting into detail.

I did a bunch of experimenting today while driving around. The JRemote app to remotely access my music server works great. The only limitation, you have to have transcode to mp3 to play DSF files. JRemote can’t play DSF. Most of my collection is saved as FLAC. Full CD resolution FLAC sounds better on my car stereo (over Bluetooth) than 320 mp3. There are three transcode choices: low (64), medium (128), and high (320). Driving around town, my phone, iPhone 6S with LTE service, had no trouble streaming full 16/44 FLAC. Didn’t try higher resolution FLAC files.

Elk said

As you note your comments are off-topic, I hope this means you are making a generic point only and not referring to Brodricj.

Let’s face it… This thread is nothing but a soup sandwich with regard to a well defined topic. An accusation of “off-topic” cannot hold any merit.

Jeff, please review my entire post.

I asked Yikes99:

"Please do not accuse Brodricj of buying grey market. One can disagree with his decision on how he is addressing his problem, but lets stick to known facts."

I gave him an out however with the observation you quoted above. That is, he could, if he chose, to claim he was not referring to Brodricj but making only a generic off-topic comment.

There was no "accusation of ‘off-topic.’ (This sounds very dramatic. Will the poster go to trial, face possible prison time?) In any event, like many threads in this forum, the topics flow freely. This is what our members prefer. As you note, it is pretty hard to declare the topic of these threads.

Bad word selection on my part. “Any mention An accusation of ‘off-topic’…”

Wasn’t trying to be dramatic. Just got a chuckle out of seeing that phrase used at this point in the thread.

Definition: A grey market is the trade of a commodity through distribution channels that are legal but unintended by the original manufacturer. Grey market products are products sold by a manufacturer or their authorized agent outside the terms of the agreement between the reseller and the manufacturer.

Jeff of Arabica said Just got a chuckle out of seeing that phrase used at this point in the thread.
An excellent point.

I am sorry, I reacted poorly to the word accusation. My bad. I tend toward the literal and overlooked the irony. Your interjection of a bit of humor was appropriate and on point. :slight_smile: