Regarding a tube amp

People sometimes over complicate things. There’s no reason you couldn’t use the volume control in the dac. Many people prefer it over a separate preamp.

Thanks Lon.

SEE

The low watt Decware amplifiers have a magic that I have learned to love and prefer to their push-pull models, but they are really only usable for me in anything but a small room when used with speakers 92 db efficient or more.

For 89 db speakers used in a larger than small room I would look into their Torii Mk IV or Zen Mystery Amp myself. I would suggest for the most educated response and helpful advice calling Mosaic. Steve Deckert really enjoys talking to customers and potential customers and music lovers, and he really DOES know what works best with his amplifiers.

I believe every amplifier that Decware sells except for the flagship Torii Monos has an adjustable gain stage that makes them functionally an “integrated amp.” I find adjusting the volume using both the DAC and the amp to be fun, there’s different body and texture to be achieved by “riding the gain” between components.

2 Likes

You can use the DS as a preamp also and it does have a excellent volume control build in, You don’t need a preamp unless you do vinyl. Just get a good power amp with balance in so you can take advantage of the better sounding balance output of the DS.

1 Like

Rag 2 isn’t tubed, but is a fine machine. You could probably just add a Freya+ as an input (preamp) and use you’re current IA Rag 1 as the power amp. Dual volume control issue, but something you could work around. I do this with a Schiit Mjolnir 2 and my W4S preamp.

Double check with Schiit tech support, but I think this would be workable, and at $800, accomplishes your tubed pre wish at a good price. Schiit support is via email, but quick to respond.

1 Like

@netspecht-2 that exactly was my question to schiit. I wanted to do the preamp option and use my rag as a power amp only. The advantage of that is, it would add a remote control too. But schiit said it may be a cleaner option just to add the rag 2 instead. Any thoughts ?

Try it first with the rag 1. Power Amps do not vary much. Upgrade to Rag 2 (if need be) on your schedule,

@netspecht-2. Do u think upgrading to an Aegir (class A) would sound more “tube like”

I use the Linear Tube Audio MZ2 preamp with the DS DAC. From testing I set the preamp volume to 3/4 and adjust the volume using the DS DAC. Depending on your speaker efficiency and listening area, the 1 watt power amplifier in the MZ2 produces very clean sound.

@dpsa1222 what’s your speaker efficiency ?

In my opinion a high quality pre does GREAT things to the DSD. I have my pre vol at 11 O Clock, attenuator out.

T

Yes, your preamp has to be very good quality otherwise it might do more harm than good. I used a Bruce Moore Companion III before and though it brought a little more bloom to the sound, it was not as detailed as going direct . Now I use an Esoteric C-02 and I tell you, it has transformed the DS to a different level. I would never go back to direct. But the Esoteric is $24k.

• 98.82dB 2.83V@1m sensitivity. Although the MZ2 can drive the Tekton Double Impacts to a listenable level, I use a Linear Tube Audio Ultralinear 20 watt amp to enjoy the sound level that I prefer.