SACD and High Resolution History Lesson

Does anyone know answers to the questions below?

Why was 88.2 selected for SACD resolution?

Was DVD-A the first delivery of 96 Khz music?

88.2 has nothing to do with SACD. That is a PCM resolution, or a DSD-to-PCM downres res.

It was an entirely new format by Sony, at 1 bit and 2.8…MHz.

1 Like

Re: DVD-A - yeah prolly was the first commercial Delivery Medium of 24/96.

Awesome Freudian Slip type thing, I originally typed something close to “devilry” medium😝

1 Like

64 x upsampling is the minimum power of two upsampling (with a 5th order modulator) that gets you 120dB S/N over the audio band, It’s also the largest upsampling factor that allows a single DVD (which an SACD DSD layer essentially is) to hold both a stereo and a (compressed) multichannel program of the sample length that a CD held.

video DVDs allowed 24/96 much earlier than DVD-A. Channel Classics (among others) even had 24/96 music only DVDs they called DADs (digital audio discs) long before DVD-A

1 Like

Yup - DVD discs were always capable of 24/96 audio, though mostly that was not used for the audio in video applications. All DVD discs have the same capability potentially, but were used for different stuff. I should have specified that DVD-A was a commercial higher-res audio delivery medium than Redbook CD.

DVDs, like SACDs or CDs, are essentially blank data discs with a certain capabilities and capacities. Not particularly defined beyond that, until you get into Formats like RBCD, DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, etc.

One of the cool things about the Alesis Masterlink (ML-9600) was that it was (at the time) a very good hardware standalone CD Mastering box, yet could also do 24/96 recordings to CD discs.

DVD discs were pretty cool for a long time, as they became more “capable” of doing different stuff over a fairly long period.

DVD Video discs could also have separate Data partitions on them, accessable directly by computer or by video menu structure, so you could have a video program as well as data files of whatever type you liked.

I still use them to house and play back boatloads of any sort of audio file that the DMP will play : )

I think many people think of DVD as Digital Video Disc when it was really Digital Versatile Disc

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: yeah, that name never caught on.

@tedsmith – that’s interesting about Channel Classics and their Digital Audio Discs.

I have watched the informative video going over how Channel Classics makes a recording.

1 Like

Kerosene, thanks for sharing that great video. There are a lot of good smaller recording companies, Channel Classics like you showed.

Our neighbor Leander van der Steen (I don’t think he is related to Vandersteen speakers) composer, conductor and musician directs a full orchestra and more than 250 member choir in Amsterdam Orkest Gebouw, utilizes STH Records from Nijkerk / Barendrecht. The recording are not done life either. Because Leander van der Steen wants to concentrate in the life concert on getting the message across.

The recording is done in the “Grote Kerk” (huge church) of Apeldoorn.

These recording engineers, there are certainly more, are skilled artists. I mean, how do you manage to set a soundstage and remove all modes and unwanted reflections in a large brick church? No dynamic war there, quite is quite loud is loud, bombastic is bombastic, exactly like the composer/conductor intended. Like in the video the composer/conductor and engineer work together and the choir and orchestra doesn’t get to go home till it is to both satisfaction.

Here’s a video by the Kansas City Symphony and how Reference Recordings works in their space.

That is cool! Did they just spin the disc faster and get 20 mins of capacity?

Not sure - it was a proprietary format, and I think it just wrote more data to the disc and the Masterlink could play it.

I had a Masterlink. It burned a 96kHz/24 AIFF file to a standard CD, 20 minutes per/CD, in real time; i.e., ~ 4x speed. There was also a version with a 40GB internal hard drive.

1 Like

You are correct sir! : )

And then many of us switched to the Tascam.

I did as well.