SACD Transport software update

James, I just got my new SACD Transport today, right out the box it sounds fantastic. I had the same issue playing USB stick. I have a large files of AIFF mixes with WAV and FLAC music. I down loaded the newest version 2.3.1. The USB played one song and then stopped. Pressing any bottom on remote does nothing. Is there something else I should try?

Yesterday I had the same thing happen when playing an SACD disc. The disc has about 20 bands on it and I only wanted to listen to the first 5. When I tried to eject it nothing on the remote would work. The draw would not open by pushing the button. I shut the unit off in the back and let it sit for about 5 minutes. After the restart the draw opened and I had no problems. I played the disc again today with no issues.

If you haven’t see the same discussion on aiff on the other forum, here it is Finally....PerfectWave SACD Transport - #1063 by MarADyr
Look like PST has “bug” in handling aiff.

I missed the other discussion entirely. Thanks! I will reload my USB stick and try again.

James, I just tried some AIFF music files on a freshly burned CD and got the same 3 sec hit of white noise at the end of each track. Hence, my PST (with v. 2.3.1) doesn’t handle AIFF files properly with either source (USB and disc).
As a double check, I burned those same music files in WAV format on a CD and the PST played them just fine.

FYI. My early post on playing data music files on PST early test. Not sure if current FW update the FIFO to the file name order instead.

I will record WAV files into a USB stick and gives it a try. AIFF obviously does not work. Hopefully PSA will have a fix for that.

I’ll try that out, but it would be interesting to know why the PWT will not play it - presumably It is meant to do so.

I’ll get with Barry and see what is going on here.

I tried the USB port again by using a new USB 3.1 stick and downloaded one WAV album and one WMA album. Now the PST shows “reading” for a few second and then stopped. The screen shows “no disk”. So it does not play at all today.

Does this seems exclusive to the new software or has this never worked for you?

If I remember right, I played the USB drive once under 2.2 it came with. The “reading” was on for over 10 minutes and never stop. I uploaded the 2.3.1 then played the same stick. It played one song and it was the third song in the stick not the first interestingly.

I then bought a Samsung USB3.1 64g stick because I though my other one is too old. But now it show “reading” for 3 seconds then stopped. So far I can only play CDs.

Here is what I use to test PST USB during the beta,

1. Music files 1: ‘The MA Recordings Audiophiliac HiRez Music Sampler 2020”from https://www.marecordings.com/. This is a collection of different music in WAV with different frequency/bits. All tracks play ok.
  2. Recently, I tested the USB with Test Your System with Free Downloads | Blue Coast Music this one contains one song but in different frequency/bits and DSD files. Three files I cannot play: 48/24 WAV, DSD256, and MQA. I think 48/24 might be a PST bug, while DSD256 and MQA are unsupported format.

USB key I use is Kingston 32GB (with default FAT32 format - PST only takes FAT/FAT32)

If your PST cannot play these, might need to give the PSA support a call.

Good luck.

Thanks, I am in contact with James from PSA. Waiting for reply.

Do you have a smaller drive to try. It seems the success rate with smaller drives is higher.

I will see if I can locate one in the house. Will report back.

Hi James,

It took a while for me to try different options. Here is what I found using two USB drives:

64gb Samsung 3.1 low resolution WAV sample music from a site Does not work

Hi Res. WAV download from Qobuz Does not work

4gb USB stick old Low Res. WAV sample music from a site Works!

Hi res. WAV from Qobuz Does not work

So I would suggest the next FW upgrade can improve the USB function, as of now the USB playback is subpar to the CD playback quite a bit.

The good news is I found my unit is working.

Thanks,

Donald

1 Like

@yzfr1mike I’m hoping your WW Starlight Platinum cable issue had a good outcome, but I haven’t been successful in identifying in the forum whether the I2S cable issues many have reported were the consequence of the FW, or of failure to attain a mechanically secure attachment to the HDMI socket. May I ask if these issues are now fully understood and corrected? At present, does anyone still have problems with using the high-quality I2S cable of their choice with the PST? What was up with all that? Thanks.

Terrence, thanks for the inputs. you are right about the limitation of USB playback. most of my hi-res. download would not work with the USB port.

Hi guys - I had a problem with my WW 12 in. HDMI cable caused by the different location of the I2S port on the new transport. When I hooked it up the angle of the bend in the cable caused an intermittent open connection on a wire inside the cable connector. I am using the PS Audio short HDMI cable that came with my DMP transport until I get the Audioquest 1/2 meter Fire HDMI cable I ordered with PSA a couple of weeks ago (March 18th.) I haven’t heard anything about the AQ Fire cable? What is the status of that order? Thanks!

1 Like