Server Setup

I have a Directstream Junior and am trying to figure out how to control my library on my synology NAS.

The synology NAS I have is not powerful enough have roon or jriver to be installed on it.

My synology is on my home network and will be connected to the directstream by cat5 ethernet.

What im wondering is if i have roon or jriver on my macbook pro which can see my synology via wifi or ethernet connection will i be streaming through the macbook or will it go straight from the synology to the Directstream junior?

Would love for someone to set me straight on this and be sure this is a good way to go about things. Would like to not buy a new NAS.

I might add that I am currently using a Bluesound node on my existing system and this setup works great but assume that the node works quite differently than the directstream.

The way I see it working is:

Synology NAS connected to router, Cat5 from router running to ethernet switch then short run cat5 from switch to Directstream Junior.

Jriver or roon on my laptop. Can I use my macbook pro to control what is being streamed on my Synology using the jriver or roon and have the music go directly from the NAS to the directstream, bypassing the macbook pro?

Confused on how it all works.

Thanks

It would only go directly from the NAS to the DSjr if the server software were installed on the NAS. If your are running Roon or JRMC on your MBP the music would stream from the MBP and the NAS would just be where the music files are stored. You might consider minimserver, which can be installed on many NAS drives and can be configured from your MBP using minimwatch. You would need a control point app on an iPad/iPhone or Android device to control it. I use a Mac Mini as a server but there are plenty of people on the forum who can help with minimserver on a NAS.

stevem2 said It would only go directly from the NAS to the DSjr if the server software were installed on the NAS. If your are running Roon or JRMC on your MBP the music would stream from the MBP and the NAS would just be where the music files are stored. You might consider minimserver, which can be installed on many NAS drives and can be configured from your MBP using minimwatch. You would need a control point app on an iPad/iPhone or Android device to control it. I use a Mac Mini as a server but there are plenty of people on the forum who can help with minimserver on a NAS.
I would second that. I m a huge fan of Roon, and have it running on my NAS, but in your circumstance, minimserver on the NAS would likely be a superior audio solution. I run MS on my smaller NAS for my Lumin A1, and it remains a very nice setup.

It’s up to you which you prioritize: the rich user interface of Roon against the (probably) better sound when playing directly from a server on the NAS. I also am a fan of MinimServer, which is installed on my Synology. If you’ve never used a UPnP setup before, to start with you could try Synology’s own Audio Station along with a control point on a phone or tablet. You can download Audio Station from the Synology Package Center. MinimServer is a little more difficult to set up; the Minim web site gives excellent instructions (the main thing is to get the correct version of Java installed on the NAS). Minim is also much more powerful and flexible, particularly for classical music listeners.

I thought the Synology audio station would be perfect but was told it does not do high res files. Looks like minimserver is the way to go unless I want to buy a new NAS

It is my understanding that the path music takes when connected via UPnP or Roon is direct to the Bridge. So the control program tells the Bridge where to connect to, such as the NAS, and the Bridge then connects directly to the memory location where the music file is located.

I know it works that way on UPnP. I could be wrong with Roon. We can always ask Dennis.

twperil said I thought the Synology audio station would be perfect but was told it does not do high res files.
I will test this tonight. I thought Audio Station did hi-res PCM (not DSD), but it was a long time ago when I last played with it.

Paul McGowan said It is my understanding that the path music takes when connected via UPnP or Roon is direct to the Bridge.
That's right with UPnP. I don't know about Roon -- would be good to confirm with Dennis. The OP also asked about JRiver, where I believe everything has to be funneled through the PC (unless JRiver is installed on the NAS).

magister said It's up to you which you prioritize: the rich user interface of Roon against the (probably) better sound when playing directly from a server on the NAS. I also am a fan of MinimServer, which is installed on my Synology. If you've never used a UPnP setup before, to start with you could try Synology's own Audio Station along with a control point on a phone or tablet. You can download Audio Station from the Synology Package Center. MinimServer is a little more difficult to set up; the Minim web site gives excellent instructions (the main thing is to get the correct version of Java installed on the NAS). Minim is also much more powerful and flexible, particularly for classical music listeners.
But is is still not possible to establish a direct connection between the NAS with minim server on it and the DS (or Ds jnr.) without having a switch or router in the way, isnt it?

It is possible to tack the switch or router out of the loop but I need to tap into the ethernet for streaming media content to the television in the room that I have my stereo. Unfortunately the way my house is built I cant get another cat5 line to that room.

At some point if I upgrade my NAS I believe there are some models available with more than one ethernet port and I am thinking I could go directly into the NAS and hook up to the other port for my other means, but not sure if it acts like a switch.

My experience has been that keeping the PC out of the audio system gives the best results, but as always YMMV. I have a NAS next to an Apple Airport Extreme (bridged mode, i.e., acts only as a switch) with a one-meter cable from the AE to my DS DAC; both are powered from an HDPLEX linear power supply. Sound is very good. If you have longer runs of ethernet, one of the isolation strategies that have been discussed here extensively might be helpful, but I do not have experience with them.

Ok,

After a long time messing around with minimserver I just couldnt get it to work so I tried Roon in my current setup.

I downloaded into onto my macbook and after making some setting adjustments on my Synology it started to work.

As far as I can tell my macbook is only a control point and the music on the NAS goes directly to the Directstream Jr.

Having used the interface on Bluesound for a few years Im very impressed with Roon. Works great and easy to navigate and I love my new PS audio equipment. Cant wait for it all to burn in.

You can easily test to see of the computer is in the data stream between the NAS and the DAC: Get a track started and disconnect the computer from the network. Do not tuen the computer off, only remove its network connection, as the shutdown sequence may send a disconnect sequence to the devices it is controlling. If the music keeps playing when you unplug the network cable (or turn off WiFi if that is your connection) then it is only directing the connection between the NAS and the DAC. If the music stops then it is probably (but not absolutely certainly) in the data stream, taking the file from the NAS and sending it on th he DAC.

J.P.

I don’t know of any UPnP control that logically sits in between the NAS and the DAC. And the Roon control point doesn’t either. If you disconnect your PC/Mac/iOS/Android controller from your network, eventually your queue will play out, and if your server app doesn’t have the capability to “switch to radio” or randomly select from your library, it will stop playing. But not because your controller became disconnected.