Settings for my new Directstream DAC

yes, the amp has a “pre” input that is meant for input from a preamp. I will try that as well as the line in which uses the amps preamp/tubes and see which I like better.

my question is if I use the line in from that uses the amps pre, do I set the DS to fixed volume and therefore bypassing the DS pre? can you bypass the DS preamp?

thanks

If you use line-in on your integrate, I would try fixing your DAC at 100 and listen for awhile and then fixing your DAC at 92 and see which you prefer. My system sounds the lest noise and clearest fixed at 92.

The DSD does not really have a preamp, it has a digital volume control that does not degrade the signal or the sound quality. So the suggestion of setting the volume “fixed” at 100 or 92 is a good one, and is effectively “removing the DSD preamp.”

2 Likes

thank you - makes sense and will give it a go. Right now I am going back/forth between using the volume control of the DSD and fixed on the DSD with volume control via the amp. both sound great honestly and enjoying my music immensely.

1 Like

Right, there are many settings between the preamp and DAC that yield excellent sound. What I have settled on is the DAC at 92 and using my preamp (a Decware ZTPRE) to adjust volume. Ted Smith recommended 92, many others use it, I’m not sure it makes a big difference but I’ve set the DSD there.

1 Like