Sneak Peek: FR-30, now FR-80

It’s not visible in these photos, but there is already a leveling foot there on a threaded insert, so we’ve got you covered.

And the new speaker will be direct sale, or did I read somewhere the company is trying to get it in a few select dealer sores?

1 Like

I’m not entirely captivated by the aesthetic of the stands on this speaker either. But they are highly engineered for a specific purpose to work in close harmony with everything that sits on top of it.

Indeed those Magico set looks like speakers on wheels…but functionally it’s for sure solid. Anyway I guess with those Isoacoustic Gaya feet it probably sounds much better at a fraction of the price.

Speakers on pods actually, and pricey ones at that. Although with that particular speaker Magico don’t give you any other options (but with their other speakers they do).

I heard exactly this setup in Munich last year. It was the best of 4 Magico disappointments for me as I mentioned in my report. But I’m just a fool with a subjective taste. The setup costs probably close to 1M and is for sure excellently reviewed.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/my-very-personal-subjective-but-ad-free-undogmatic-and-honest-high-end-munich-2019-show-report/10858/14

Yeah, it looks like a tough room for a $1M investment to be tasked to perform in.

I’m not giving up trying to hear them how they sound for those who like them :wink:
Everything can sound bad in the wrong…and a lot can sound good in the right environment.

Direct in the United States, through dealers throughout the rest of the world.

Given that you guys pay shipping to and from, I can’t think of a better way to do it. Get em in your house and listen to them there - only way to evaluate them properly.

1 Like

OK, thanx!

more like $450k

Yes I guess I was too high

I’m with John_H on this and “too complicated” is not an answer. (I give professional opinions for a living and I’d get thrown out of court for saying that. My job is to make complex matters understandable.)

I’ve had in mind all along that the only successful makers of line source speakers (that I know of) are Piega. They’ve been making their own ribbon drivers since the 1980s. Here is a discussion and review of their coaxial mid/tweeter from 2008.

The benefits of coaxial ribbons are simply described here:
https://piega.ch/en/insights/the-benefits-of-the-coaxial-piega-ribbons

It is such a fundamental feature that they have an entire range called Piega Coax.

Cabinet rigidity is achieved by having made out of aluminium, with internal high frequency damping.

What is evident, and I think is the point John_H is making, is that this Piega unit the tweeter and ribbon is a single unit (they’ve been making ribbon drivers for 35 years) with a very minimalist baffle, and they use very thin grilles.

John_H’s concern relates to the PSA baffle:

I think the concerns are obvious.

I’ve expressed before my admiration of coaxial drivers, specifically those by Tannoy, which are incredibly coherent. The irony is that the Infinity speakers do not have coaxial ribbons. One likely reason, explained by Piega, is that they are extremely difficult to make.

So perhaps you could comment on how this design deals with off-axis interactions to which John_H refers.

Yet you persist. A lot of that going on over this side of the Pond at the moment - independent of your persuasion.

A lot of what? John_H has a good point. This combing business is I understand a significant issue, although it often measures worse than it actually sounds in smaller rooms. Dispersion, especially off axis, is critical. Paul slags off Sonos, but such units are more focused on dispersion other than absolute sound quality, the Devialet Reactor is astonishing in that regard as it is designed to double as a PA unit. Harbeth are very good off axis. Some speakers are exceptional if you have your head fixed in a vice. The AN3 mid/treble baffle does look a bit weird and an explanation would be helpful, after all USA customers are expected to buy direct online.

Jeebus…Nevermind.

Oooh - gonna spin some Amurican rawk.

2 Likes

Do you contact all speaker manufacturers and demand explanations of their designs?
Let Chris do his thing. Those who like how it sounds will buy it. Those who don’t, won’t.

4 Likes

Yeah, close:
M6 = 176
MSB Select = 84
Femto 33 = 10
Mono powerbase pair = 20
Pro-ISL = 2
Select Transport = 24
Transport powerbase = 16
M500 = 118
CMS rack = 20
Cabling = a big number