Snowmass DirectStream Sr. upgrade - Available in the Downloads Section

Guess my mistake.

Apologies.

Didn’t mean to send anyone on a mission.

No problem, I just want to make sure everyone’s posts get through and people are easily able to express their opinions.

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Hey Ted, just a quick shout out of BIG GRATITUDE for what you and Paul have accomplished with Snowmass. I thought you’d maxed out on RedCloud, but boy, was I wrong. This update is transformative from my perspective. I won’t conusme space here by parroting the accolades of others. It’s far more than expected and delivers superb balance on every metric. In a word or 2, utterly MUSICAL - enveloping and involving in a way that has taken me away from my other (video) media. All I wanna do is listen to 2.0 music, but that’s a good thing! :sunglasses::cactus:

4 Likes

My perceived loss of gravitas in the bottom end with Snowmass was with recordings I was listening to for the first time with SM. When I went back and listened to recordings I had listened to when I was initially impressed with SM, bass was still as good as I remembered it. I still have a tendency to compare things to my previous Ayon tube CD player, which had a somewhat fat bottom end. SM is much more accurate, which equals greater bass when the recording calls for it, and sometimes a perceived loss of bass, when compared to my previous CD player, which plumped things up.

2 Likes

My wife texted me in my listening room: “Please turn it down before you do structural damage” :grinning::grinning:

11 Likes

If you’re talking about the original 2 cents post - I still see it. Did you do a subsequent response to mine?

Edit: Sorry got after the fact via email…

FWIW 2.0

Well, the magic is back!

I don’t understand why, but I now, finally hear a significant improvement from the Snowmass software upgrade.

If you read my previous posts in this thread, one might sum up my observations as “meh”.

What changed? I am not sure how to explain it, but I can tell you what I did to apparently get the upgrade to take: I installed Red Cloud again. Then I installed Snowmass. Then, I repeated the process.

When I went back over the dozen or so tracks I gravitate towards when reviewing system changes, it was obvious I was hearing an improvement.

Before I did the retrograde/upgrade cycling, I did not hear any significant improvement and actually thought the midrange was a bit congested and that lower frequencies were a bit muddier than I recalled with Red Cloud.

I listened to Red Cloud after I went back to it the second time and felt it was better overall. Then I reinstalled Snowmass for the third time, listened and I knew Ted and the PS Audio crew had done it again.

I have been too wordy here already so my summary take on Snowmass: “Cleaner” (more resolving), punchier bass transients (if that’s a term), more sounds are recognizable as individual instruments of percussion rather than mere percussive sounds (know what I mean?) and a deeper and wider soundstage (with the added depth being more evident).

I am very curious to know if others have had a similar experience with needing to go back and forward to get results.

If anyone is less than impressed with Snowmass, based on my experience, I recommend that they try cycling through some older software and trying again.

Cheers.

I don’t know if there are many people with that experience in upgrading to Snowmass, but historically there were a lot more people needing to upgrade more than once to get the best sound. I bet that releasing Snowmass with the Force Update option really helped.

1 Like

Noted. Thanks.

The force update was a superb idea.

1 Like

Well after not not touching my display since update due to It freaking me out a little due to the lack of response when tapping an icon and doing thins on its own. Today I decided to try the screen again, well it didn’t go well. One tap, two, three, ten… totally uncertain when it’s going to respond. I and then there’s the unexpected one, volume decrease will go into auto mode and continue to go down all by itself, Like if the button was being held down but it’s not. So after several failed attempts to get back to the main screen it eventually works and I probably won’t touch it again unless completely necessary. Feeling a little bummed out about it.

Nice that all seem to settle with great results sooner or later!

While listening today I’m once more sure, that the DS alone/with added streamer and especially with Bridge and all the firmware updates is probably the best buy of Hifi history. Should be in the hall of fame!

3 Likes

Have you calibrated your screen? (https://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-calibrate-a-perfectwave-touch-screen/)

It may be that it’s somehow gotten very sensitive.

That 2 cents has bought a lot of thread, clever man that Joe.

I didn’t get the sense it was intentional. Indeed the point I was trying to make is that 2 cents should be regarded as 2 cents globally hereabouts without regard to how often it is expressed or who is expressing it.

LOL…! Wow… I didn’t even know that I could do this, problem corrected it was just that simple. Plus now I can brag to my friends that Ted Smith replied to me personally, well at least that’s how like to think it happened. Thanks Ted you rock… :guitar:

Learn from yesterday
Live for today

Hope for tomorrow

2 Likes

That’s really goods news for me, as a DSj owner!
More if Darren and you guys pick a better compile in the end. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes there certainly is something special about this release. It is just so involving. I have been doing the late nights with the lights off and rolling into bed around 1-2am.
I’ve listened to 70s rock/ folk rock. Albums which sounded thin - which now sound like layers upon layers of sound.
Everything sounds fantastic no matter the genre.
Seems like I am hearing a cleanliness in the mids - including lower mids - and a better lower register. Vocals still stand out to me as they come from this silent background and have a tendency to just float.
This can’t get any better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Two thumbs up. Suggested it’s the way to go in the future updates. Worked flawlessly (with uncompressed files Jeremy sent me) for the first time without fuss. Same with my DMP, which BTW, works perfectly now. No issues at all.