Soloist LED

So I saw this: Need help? Got a problem? Ask the PSA expert

I am sure this doesn’t qualify as a problem, but it probably qualifies me as someone who should seek some sort of help (my wife would probably say mental help), but here goes:

So I just got a Soloist Premier on Audiogon, put it in, works great. What excellent quality. Truly superb. But…

The wall that I have to put it on faces me. All the time. Like, seriously, most of the day. It is in my home office/listening room/only place wife lets me do anything to.

So the desk faces the stereo, which is great. everything these days has this nice soothing blue light coming from it, PS Audio logos glowing blue, Krell glows blue, OPPO has a blue light, the TV politely turns off the red LED when on…

So I think you probably see where I am going with this. The Soloist has that lovely light that tells you everything is OK. But it’s green. And it is green all the time. Which means everything is OK all the time, which should be a good thing. But it’s green.

Anyway, is there a particular type of blue LED that I could buy (voltage/size, etc.) that I could replace it with?

Is it something that could be done fairly easily, like the two prongs are plugged into slots and they just need to be trimmed down or is there soldering that would have to be done to remove the old and replace with the new?

On the list of issues / real problems that you guys have to solve this should go to the bottom, or maybe even the page after that.

Thanks in advance

Those damn LEDS!

They are either too bright, the wrong color or staring directly into your eyes.

Things that I have done to tame them down or alter them, YMMV.

A small piece of painters tape, either blue or the green frog tape, or black electrical tape ( or silver duct tape ) to block them totally.

TAMIYA clear acrylic paint, X-23 is a clear blue, may take two applications. ( other colors are available )

Photographic light filter sheets, allice blue is a nice blue.

I recall a company that sold precut pieces of black and silver vinyl to cover LEDs, but I can’t remember the name.

I believe that the 2014 Noble Prize for physics went to the creators of the blue LED.

I suspect you are thinking of LightDims, Click.These work well.

I hate LEDs.

As a side note, blue is now the standard for audio and other toys as blue LEDs were expensive to produce in the past. Thus, pricier equipment incorporated the more expense blue LEDs, rather than the much cheaper red, etc.

It is possible for the technically inclined to remove the green LED and replace it with a blue one. Just make sure the physical size is about the same and the rest will just work out. The circuit doesn’t know or care about the LED color.

Paul McGowan said

It is possible for the technically inclined to remove the green LED and replace it with a blue one. Just make sure the physical size is about the same and the rest will just work out. The circuit doesn’t know or care about the LED color.

Thank so much for the suggestions. I think I will start by taking it off the wall and taking a look at how the light is in there, if it is soldered but really accessible I will attempt that, otherwise I like the clear acrylic idea, and as a last resort the cover will work too!

Many thanks!

For what it is worth you cannot turn a green LED into a blue one with a filter. The green wavelength of light is too specific.

In that case I am glad I went with the new LED option then.

No one died, only had to do it twice as I forgot the plastic spacer that goes over the prongs of the LED the first time.

I will say it turned out to be a pretty blue, but wow is it bright. I am pretty sure Elk would hate it!

I may now need to get one of the LED Dims or just do it over again with something less bright.

Thanks again everyone!

Blue-LED.jpg

Veneet said I am pretty sure Elk would hate it!
Indeed. But you did a great job.