Spatial Audio M3 Sapphire new BF speakers

I’ll be very interested in your impressions. We currently have Magnepan 1.7s with a couple of REL subs. My wife loves the sound but would appreciate a smaller footprint.

1 Like

Distance from front wall is everything to these speakers- if you don’t have the room, buy a box speaker

I had Maggies so I understand. Room is 24’ X 23.3

What amp are you powering them with?

BHK pre, Benchmark AHB2

NRD has some bonus footage. The Spatial speakers seem very open and detailed. I hear the CS song a hundred times in my system and this seems more detailed. I had 3.7i maggies too. The texture and layering sounds amazing. I may have to order an M3-S pair soon

3 Likes

I have Maggies, Quads and Spatial speakers. Love the vocals on the Maggies and Quads but the Spatials just sound a bit hollow. Very detailed, good bass but they just don’t do it for me. Having said that occasionally I come across some music they just excel on but unfortunately that doesn’t happen too often.

I am considering a set of X3 or X5 Spatials to pair up with a set of recently purchased BHK 300’s. Any thoughts on these?

I had a pair of M3 turbo a while back. I sold them after a year or so. I too thought they sounded hollow or a slight echo thing? I am hoping to grab a semi local Maggie 20.7 pair asap!

I’m considering a pair of M3S or X5’s which I would pair with my BHK 250. Hoping to audition some of the Spatial Audio speakers locally before pulling the trigger.

One thing for sure is, either of the BHK amps would be more than enough horse power to drive any of the high efficiency Spatial speakers. Especially the X5 or X3, which have powered sub woofer amps.

1 Like

I took delivery of a new pair of M3S on Monday. They are breaking in, so far, the open baffle bass is everything it is cracked up to be especially in my 12x12x8 room. They are replacing Vandersteen Treo CT.

Tweeters on the M3S are drawing attention to themselves more than I’d like but I’m told by Clayton that this will subside.

I need to replace my Bryston 4B NRB with a more suited amplifier that may help calm down the top end a bit. I’m suffering from decision paralysis. I have no idea what to buy. I like the idea of the stellar line, but I don’t need that much power.

1 Like

Nice. I just ordered a set of X5’s yesterday. Keep us in the loop as your M3’s break in. You really cant have too much power. The speakers will only get what they ask for on an average basis but the extra power will always help with transient passages.

1 Like

Maybe one of the PS Audio guys can speak to this. I might be over thinking. If my budget allows me to buy a tube amp or an amp like m1200…would I get a better sounding lower power amp for the same or similar price as a higher power amp. In other words, does the price to build a higher powered amp require slightly less quality reproduction to get the power? IDK. Paralysis lol

Analysis paralysis. It gets me all the time. If you want class D amps and could swing a set of 1200’s I’m sure they would last many years without getting itchy for a replacement. My other system has a pair of m700’s, DS Jr, BHK preamp running a set of Tekton Electrons and they sound really good.
Remember you can test the amps out at home for 30 days and only pay shipping back if you dont keep them. PSA also has an awesome trade in program too. Best email one of the sales crew or call them directly. They re always happy to help whether you buy anything or not.

Look forward to hearing your impressions of the X5’s. Clayton put me in touch with someone locally that has a pair of X3’s which I hope to hear next week. If I like them I’ll probably order a a pair of X5’s.

What size room will you be setting them up in?

Its kind of odd sized “open design”. The basic room is very roughly 25’ x 15’ x 11’ ceiling. It is open on one end to the kitchen which is roughly 12’ deep. The speakers are on the 25’ long wall near one end. Not the perfect setup but is acceptable to both parties involved :smile:

Clayton recommended the X5 over the X3 for this room. I was planning on buying the X3 and was pleasantly surprised by the downsell. He seems like a really down to earth craftsman and has a lot of pride in his designs.

Distance from front wall is everything to these speakers- if you don’t have the room, buy a box speaker.

Well that is true not for this speaker but all speakers to bring out the best in them. Spatial is no different.

1 Like

Not all. My Von Schweikert VR35’s were designed to be placed close to the front wall. There are others as well, like the Guru stand mounted speakers.

I just received mine and they are superb. Very open fast, and deep clean bottom end, and impactful mid-bass. You have to set them upright and every room is different. In my room starting at 3’ from the front wall did not work well, weak bass sounded like a small 2-way, where bass rolls of quickly.

I finally read the manual! Really, Duh.

One suggestion made was 36" out front from wall to start, which I did. It then stated wait 48 hours and either pull them further out 6" from the front wall or back 6", whichever one gives you the most mid-bass and bass is the distance to keep. Meaning you were in a bass canceling zone, (nordal area in the room. The louder bass area is a better location. This is spot on.

Well in my room and I believe due to not having the wall behind me, going back 6" to 30" from the back wall made a huge difference, now they have bass, full rich and deep, I tried 33" also and that was good also, but the extra 3" back made it even more dynamic and full. Going to do the final measurements then put the spikes back on and see which way I like it the best.

I am so happy to hear the improvement, before sounds like all midrange and highs, like a small 2 way with lightweight mid-bass down. So in some rooms close to the back wall works better than further out. My room of course as bass traps and other diffusion panels.

They image great, very fast, not bloated bass, no one-note bass, just impactful, dynamic clean bass once you find the right spot from the front wall. The bass is better than most box speakers, and the bass like box speakers does not fight midrange and highs. Easy to drive, and set up is a breeze once to hit the distance from the front wall.

I still love my Quad speakers for what they do they do well, and due to a roll-off around 16Khz, what your ear focus on is the midrange with bass down to around 33Hz in my room. So your hearing a lot of body and a very relaxed sound to the ear, which is why once you live with Quads it usually for a long time, and for many it is their last speaker.

Spatial Audio does this open box design well, and the owner and designer Clayton is a great guy to boot. He takes the time to answer your questions and tells you straight information, and in my case what I might lose a little from what the quads do every well. He was right by the way and upfront about it. Quads ESL 57 and 63’s speak with one voice top to bottom, extremely coherent with outstanding focus and detail. The M3’s give the ground a bit on those but makeup in so many ways to where the slight trade-off is well worth it. Well, you can say that about most speakers that go against the Quads. I now own 2 superb speakers that I can interchange when the mood hits me. That is not a bad thing.

Don’t listen to those who say OB speakers cannot do bass well, perhaps that was the case in the past, but trust me that is no longer an issue. The vale by the way is through the roof, I’ve heard 20K speakers that cannot touch my Quads or the Spatial M3’s.

This old cat learned a new trick by being open-minded on OB speakers and I am enjoying every minute with them. Once you hear them set up right you will be hooked. I keep my 2 subs in the system only due to that subs help open up the sound stage even more, not just for low end support.

4 Likes

It your setup not the Spatial. Try moving them closer to the front wall, of further out 3" at a time. Toe in is important and depending on your sub floor going without the speakers may be better, spikes are not the best in all situations.