Still Own It: Now What??

Elk. As it should be that good I cannot agree. But most do love it’s sound

but for me it’s sub par compared to servers I own. Maybe it’s just me I really wish I liked it more.

Al

Ok . . . seeing seemingly opposing points of view here, I’ll milk this question a bit more. Feel free to relate your experiences.

Again, the question: given a good high resolution download, will there be a clear sonic advantage to one of these playback options:

1) Burn to DVD

2) Play using a high quality dedicated server

(And notice that computer-based playback isn’t being considered in this limited comparison)

Anecdotally, from HDtracks, I downloaded Mark Knopfler’s latest solo effort last evening and burned it to DVD. It sounds wonderful! I’m hooked on this path to high-res, and am quite fond of the results of this burn-to-disc process; but, am willing to keep an open mind . . . and ear.

Ron

Asking for absolute recommendations is a fool’s errand IMO. There are many paths towards sonic bliss (and most other endeavors in our lives.) Often the path that works best is the one you believe in: you’ll push thru the rough segments more easily when you believe.

You can tune up disc spinners, dedicated music servers, general purpose computer, etc. and get great results with any of them. I used to spin CDs with a sea of jukeboxes controlled from my computer, now I have ripped all of my non-SACDs (and 700 or 800 of my SACDs) and like the ease much more, but fully admit that computer controlled systems are for the most part still nerdware and getting great sound is much harder for some than others and that you are forever running into small annoyances when things break for no apparent reason. Spinning discs or using a dedicated music server can add a lot of stability to your system and also can make it more friendly to your spouse, guests, etc.

2007-11-25-194755.jpg

This was during moving in to the new house. The cables are dress a little better now :)

You know ted some times you reply to someone and it hits home to me. As I still,say I never have liked the PWT it couLd simply be its just not for me. Not that it’s not good or other stuff is better. This I clould live with. You are either a very truthful man or a great salesman. Either way a great post and thanks for posting it.

Al

Thanks, Ted, for the sold, sage advice. Your reference to “nerdware” for the computer-based playback choices not only gave me a chuckle, but it’s nudging me even closer to the download>burn-to-disc camp, at least for the time being. I am NOT computer-savvy, and since I’ve a manageable and limited number of discs and downloads, I’ll remain comfortable right here. Thank-you.

Ron

Ron, I think that you have stated your “wants” quite well (read back over the thread if I’m not clear). The PWT is a great device that sounds good. It could be updated a bit (blu ray etc…) but it does it’s job well given the minor playback limitations. Yes, you will drive yourself nuts a) trying to find the “ultimate” playback pathway, which will change next month or b) going full nerd and building, maintaining and cursing a server. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and have the right transport in hand. I like my server because I am lazy and addicted to having 38k tracks at my fingertips. Have I heard them all? Hell no. 21_gif Probably never will. Happy listening.

Hi! New guy here. This thread is very interesting. Just got the PWT/DSD combo and am breaking them in. Thus far, am very interested in the sound. Got them because have too many redbook cds to count and was intrigued by the idea that the DSD would help extract more info from them. As I explained to a friend who was astounded at how much I spent on the combo, hearing something from a cd or lp that one had never heard before is the catnip of hi-fi.

Ronrichter’s comment is interesting. Replaced a Cambridge 840C cdp that I have had since it came out to rapturous reviews. Love its sound and versatility. As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on whether I made a wise purchase of the combo. Thus far, I think I have. Am hearing things from cds that have not heard before and mean that in a good way. Conversely, a bad recording is a bad recording, and the combo reveals that, too.

Have no interest in ripping cds; just want to play what I have.

Have downloaded some hi res music. Am underwhelmed. Am a Luddite. All of your grandfathers are more computer savvy than I. Subscribe to the KISS rule Woot mentioned. Currently have a great coax cable running from my PC to the DSD. Works just fine. Understand that DSD prefers USB feed. Have seen the thread about suggested USB cables. Would like to simply run a USB cable to the DSD, and let the DSD take it from there.

Here’s where I need all of your advice. Think I ought to start over. What is the simplest, easiest way to download and organize hi res downloads to a PC that would feed the DSD?

Thanks!

Welcome, srspc!

For both you and Ron, I suggest doing what is easiest first and learn if you really find high resolution recordings sufficiently compelling to put extra money and energy into them.

For Ron, this is burn some DVD-Rs and try them on the PWT. For you, stick with S/PDIF over coax for now and concentrate on getting a bit-perfect high resolution data stream to your DS. (Others know this area better than I and should be along soon.)

I would say the easiest way to download hi-res files is HDTracks, they have an automated download process that makes it dead simple once you choose the file type and resolution you want. The easiest file type I would say is FLAC because it handles the file meta data more easily than WAV, although some will argue that WAV sounds a smidgen better. For a PC, the best way to organize, tag, and play your files is JRiver Media Center. It’s very powerful but pretty simple to get started. They also wrote the download app for HDTracks, so there is some synergy there, too. If you have a good S/PDIF coax out, I’d try it with the DSD before investing in a good USB cable. The DSD can do all the same files over S/PDIF that is can over USB (unlike many other DACs), so you don’t give up anything for S/PDIF coax.

Hey SRSPC,

Welcome aboard, and check for a PM I sent . . .

Ron

@srspc: Agree with Elk’s approach. You might consider Fidelizer (free or paid) as a way to easily boost the fidelity of your PC in an readily reversible fashion. HiRes downloads can be a crapshoot in terms of realizing a detectable boost in fidelity. They have to start as good recordings either from good analog masters, or from good digital files that started life in high res. If you give us a notion of your likes, I am sure that we could make some suggestions to get you started.

Hi! Went to inbox and did not find the message. Probably op failure on my part.

Hmmm… from this end, it says the message went out, but tried it one more time just now. If you STILL don’t find it and are okay with sharing an email address, we can try that. Thanks!

Ron

rritcher@att.net

Hi Scott,

Still would like to touch bases with you, but no luck so far . . .

If you see this and want to compare notes, shoot me an email (see previous post for details)

Thanks!

Ron

I’m a recent convert to jRiver Media Center.

A music server needn’t be expensive if you have the PW Bridge, and it could actually save money. I’m using a USB thumb drive ($80, 256GB) plugged into my Asus Router, which supports DLNA Media server and works fine with jRiver. I rip my CDs using dBpoweramp CD Ripper, which does good error recovery and checks each file against a database to ensure a clean copy.

Consider that you may be able to eliminate a disk player entirely; the cost of the bridge is less than a good transport, and you may get better audio quality on some disks, because the ripping process can take time to correct errors as the disk is being read. I’m keeping my Oppo Blu-Ray player only for the occasional movie.

The big draw is convenience, of course. If I want to compare the voices of Gloria Estefan and Karen Carpenter (try it - on a couple of tracks they both recorded, you can’t tell them apart), it’s a moderate PIA to swap disks, but instant with the server.

Welcome to the forum EldRick! The ability to instantly access any of your music is to me the greatest benefit of computer audio.

Again, I am late to the party… My soul has not been in music lately, although I do still listen some. At least I have not turned off the radio in the car - that is a seriously bad state that I try to avoid now that I am more aware.

Anyway… I have been a serious fan of network playback ever since I got my PWD/Bridge several years ago. Yes, I am a nerd, so have built my own computers, set up my network and all, but… this can all be done with a computer for ripping and a nice server such as the Bryston or Auralic Aries. It does not take a lot of savvy to rip using dBPoweramp, and only a little more to get a dedicated server such as those mentioned set up. I really like having my library accessible from my tablet, just pick a track or album and start playing. If that turns out not to be what you want, pick another and a few seconds later something new is playing. No need to handle discs, no need to pull or place them back in the library. Yes, I am lazy! :-) These days, the only time I spin discs is when I am playing them on the computer, auditioning the album while getting the tags tweaked to my satisfaction before ripping the album for my library.

Thus far, I have not been overly concerned about that last .001% of sound quality. With my setup - not necessarily representative of any other, I have not heard enough of an improvement from the tweaks that I have tried to push any further. Perhaps I am not sufficiently infected by the audiophile bug… ?? A good music server should not need significant tweaking.

Anyway, this is just one opinion. Do play the music however works best for you. This is a good conversation, thanks for feeding it.

J.P.