Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 2)

Another remarkable record. Breaks the barriers and injects your soul with possibilities.

It’s funny, I couldn’t listen to Monk for a very long time. Now I’m building quite the collection. Suddenly I love his wacky chords, etc.

Indeed a fine album, and the AP/Acoustic Sounds release is hard to beat sonically.

1 Like

Coming around, a good thing. I started my jazz exploration with Monk and Mingus. I guess I didn’t know better.

1 Like

Technically my first listen this morning, having both the double CD and the original 1977 LP release, I opted for the Nessa expanded 2008 CD reissue. Never an easy listen, especially for a first one of the day. Roscoe Mitchell Nonaah, (No -nay-ah), the concert being a bit controversial. Reportedly the Willasau Jazz Festival audience had expected a solo Anthony Braxton performance, who at the last minute was unavailable. Just before the scheduled start Roscoe was offered the opportunity to play solo. The audience expecting Braxton was less than receptive to having Roscoe as a substitute. The beginning portion of the title piece, Roscoe playing solo alto, has the audience jeering and walking out as Roscoe confronts them with his alto, repeating a series of tones aggressively. Once the remaining audience settles in Roscoe continues with Nonaah. Upon completion Roscoe receives a standing ovation from the remaining audience. So glad Chuck Nessa had the foresight to release Nonaah in 1977 and to find the resources to reissue an expanded CD version in 2008.

1 Like

2 Likes

Charles Lloyd’s latests just received a glowing Stereophile review from Sasha Matson:

The Sky Will Still Be There Tomorrow

2 Likes

1 Like

Wow, rare and pricey!

Good record. Over the years I saw Lloyd several times; I especially liked his group in the late 90s early 2000s when Billy Higgins was on the traps. Still Lloyd to my ears is not a major force.

Can’t speak to that, other than it is fantastic!

I tend to agree, liking his works from the 60’s and much of his work on ECM, followed by the Blue Notes, enjoyable listen, but as you say not a major force. Still glad to have his music in the collection.

1 Like

Received this test pressing about a month back or so from Elle-Kari Larsson & Alexander Zethson , and this is my first opportunity to give it a listen. It is rather atmospheric, ethereal, and with a sense of drama. Somewhat akin to the Norwegian group Fire Orchestra, but more laid back.
The Death of Kalypso , Angles & Elle-Kari with Strings

enjoy following the sheet music

3 Likes

Benny Golson Groovin’ With Golson, a fun hard bop listen to the Japanese 1981 mono reissue. The quintet features along with Benny, Curtis Fuller, Ray Bryant, Paul Chambers, and Art Blakey.

1 Like

611amWTNgPL.SX522
gorgeous album

2 Likes

Plenty of energy and drive here, Miroslav Vitous Mountain in the Clouds.

2 Likes

Classic! Shelly Manne & His Men At the Black Hawk 3, The sonics are outstanding and the LP fits on the shelf taking up the appropriate amount of space as well!

1 Like

Indeed ! Trane could do it all.

1 Like