Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 2)

3 Likes

Drummer Pete La Roca’s only leader date for Blue Note, “Basra” (here the Japan cd UCCU-8110)

The quartet does an amazing job here but Joe Henderson seems inspired and is a real standout.

5 Likes

It took some prodding (if you paid for this set with PayPal I recommend contacting them if you haven’t received a shipping notice) but my JATP Mosaic set arrived last night right after my wife came home and I shut off the system.

Playing the first disc right now. Sound is really good. No loudness war mastering here–I had to increase the gain in my system a lot. Lester is playing and all is right in my world.

Classic Jazz At The Philharmonic Jam Sessions 1950-1957, disc 1 of 10

2 Likes

4 Likes

Eddie “Lockjaw” Davis with Red Garland and Shirley Scott “Gentle Jaws” Prestige OJC cd

Just what I needed after some JATP jams!

Quartet sessions with either Red or Shirley on piano, from two LPs and one track from a compilation.

Pulled a few Lockjaw cds from the shelves. . .he has a unique sound and technique that I sometimes crave in batches of discs.

4 Likes

Ella Fitzgerald “Sunshine of Your Love” Verve cd

Although this whole disc shows Ella really “on” and sounding great. . . the title track is the show stopper!

Sound isn’t fantastic. This originated as an MPS and there are MPS cds out there. . . but they don’t always sound that good so I went with the Verve. May try the MPS one day.

1 Like

J.R.Montrose Quartet “T.T.T.” Storyville/Solid Records Japan cd

Got this in one of my last purchases from cdjapan.co.jp in 2022. There are not, and never have been, enough J.R. Monterose albums.

Bass – Guffy Pallesen
Drums – Jesper Elen
Piano – Hod O’Brien
Tenor Saxophone – J.R. Montrose

Recorded live at “Jazzhus Slukefter,”
Copenhagen, Denmark on July 2, 1988.
Recorded by the Danish Broadcast Corporation.

3 Likes

Pee Wee!

Pee Wee Russell / Coleman Hawkins “Jazz Reunion” Candid Records cd 2022

[​IMG]

Seems perfect for watching the snow fall through the bare branches out my (upstairs) window.

2 Likes

A relatively early esp disk, No 1005, The Byron Allen Trio. Byron Allen had been recommended to esp by none other than Ornette Coleman. Byron dedicated one song to Ornette on this release, Decision for the Cole-Man.

3 Likes

Joe Lovano with US Five “Bird Songs” Blue Note cd

Playing this one again as I’m auditioning a new tube and this is a nice one for that.

[​IMG]

3 Likes

Doplorians Sunday Morning Sermon, featuring Alvin Fielder, Kidd Jordan, William Parker, Kelley Hurt, Christopher Parker, and Chad Fowler.

2 Likes

Aki Takase and David Murray Cherry Sakura, just got this in. Cherry Sakura has been on my want list for sometime. After a few delays it has finally arrived. The first cut, Cherry - Sakura has more of a spitritual and soulfulness than I anticipated from this duo. A good thing. The second track is a bet more angular and energetic. Still working my way through it, but Murray and Takase are both displaying a strong effort.

2 Likes

Wonderful set from 1978.

Sam Rivers - reeds, piano
Dave Holland - bass
Thurman Barker - percussion
Joe Daly - tuba

4 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

A personal favorite on the short lived Tomato label. I picked this up upon its initial release.

2 Likes

Well for those who are fans of BlueNote LPs:

2023 BN TonePoet Release Schedule 8>)

1 Like