Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

News to me. I know that he spent his final years in almost complete silent despair at the Weehawken, NJ house of Baroness Pannonica De Koenigswarter, his patroness for decades, “the Jazz Baroness”. . . but the rest of the Monks were not living there, but in his NYC apartment. He was withdrawn during this time, seeing only a few jazz friends. And then he was gone. . . .

1 Like

I really think John Lewis is underrated, I enjoy his music very much.

4 Likes

…and playing ping pong…

Not in his final years he wasn’t.

Me too.

A favorite!

2 Likes

Blue Maqams and Thimar seem to be used in quite a few audiophile hardware reviews :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Another ethno Jazz album, with powerful themes!

1 Like

Just spun this yesterday. Fantastic album. Had the BlueStem Jazz guys up to my summer place for socializing and all things Jazz followed up with an Ice Age Trail hike. Their first listen of the updated stereo system, which left them slack jawed. The primary comment being, tell me again how many watts that tube amp puts out, and what is the wait for the Pure Audio Project speakers?

We followed up with Arve Henriksens’s Album The Nature of Connections:

2 Likes

I am relay digging Arve Henriksen these days and have a handful of his Rune Grammophone releases.

1 Like

From Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds? The reason I ask as I ordered from both and have only received the copy from Acoustic Sounds.

Bushman’s Revenge, my favorite power jazz trio, on Rune Grammofon.

2 Likes

Acoustic Sounds

1 Like

Seems Music DIrect and Elusive Disc have yet to receive their allotment.

Funny, when i first listened, I was underwhelmed. But then I compared to another 180 gm recording and the differences are obvious.

1 Like

2 Likes

Carla Bley celebrated her 83rd birthday May 11, 2021. This CD is a 2020 release.

4 Likes

I ran through one of my favorite LP‘s level up strong from beginning to end for the first time since maybe 20 years I guess. Man how things improved, here especially the bass e.g. later on the third track.Incredible, deep, tight, 3D deep in the room…I partly started to sing along the guitar solo and was near applauding at the end by pure fascination. Although I had big Gryphon Class A at the time, bass control and soundscape of the whole chain was not anywhere near today. Recordings not played for a long time are always a nice verification of sound quality memories of the past.

This record is a must have if your turntable is bass proof and recommendable then, otherwise the CD is also great, a digital recording anyway.

What a gorgeous album.

3 Likes

An insanely driving drum set on this Impex reissue. One of THE reissues. Music 1+.

2 Likes

2 Likes