Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Lonson,

Thank you!

Can I assume that this was a limited series, and has been discontinued?

Well, in a sense many, most Japanese releases are a limited series. They have an insular market and they research the number of copies they can sell, press that many and sell them. They may later do it all over again with a new series, a new mastering, a new format.

The RVG series started in Japan, then was launched in the US, ran simultaneously in both countries for a bit, then finished up in the US. In 2017 Japan re-pressed a lot of the RVG editions on the very popular SHM-CD format “one final time.” The “Complete Series” that I have a copy of was a very limited release of Rollins, Dorham, Davis and Clark titles in 2 cd sets rather early on in the Japanese series. I sought these out and have all but the Davis (I have the Davis in separate volumes). The RVG Editions in the US get a lot of “panning” but the Japanese are actually separate masterings and I really enjoy them; I’ve been collecting them since the series started as affordably as I can; I have about 2/3 of the series now.

1 Like

The Sonny Clark is an SHM-CD, I purchased from cdjapan.com. A deep rabbit hole. A bought two dozen based on a recommendation. If you buy in quantity the shipping sting isn’t too bad. Some of them are pretty good, as in the Sonny Clark. The Shepp are a mixed bag, better than my Shepp CDs from the 90’s, but not as good as I was hoping for. Others may hear it different. Started listening to Miles’ Ascenseur pour Lechafaud, but couldn’t form an opinion as my wife suggested we watch the film. Which we did, Jean Moreau was wonderful.

Here is a link:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?page=&agg_use=cat_ids_hierarchal_treeish_foldable&agg_use=rel_year&range.rel=2021-01-01-2021-12-31&term.cat_id=UA-12&term.media_format=&q=SHM-CD

BTW, I warned you it is a deep rabbit hole.

1 Like

He stretches out in directions here that he never had the chance to do in Mangione’s band back in the day.

As you have a record player, you have to use the definitive version:

http://www.samrecords.fr/shop/miles-davis-ascenseur-pour-lechafaud-ost-1958/

It’s still available on the market.

2 Likes

Since the record from “Big Fun” was still on the turntable it was easy to flip it over and groove hard to “Go Ahead John.” It seems forever and a day I have loved the overdubbed “call and response” blues trumpet parts from Miles.

Miles Davis “Big Fun”

1 Like

Billy Strayhorn (Duke Ellington Orchestra really) “Live!!!” Roulette mono LP

Apparently little or no Strayhorn here but great Ellington and Ellingtonians in wonderful Roulette sound (I’m a fan of this label’s engineering).

PS: I continue to be impressed with the sound from the NuWave Phono Converter feeding my DSD via HDMI I2S.

Jimmy Smith’s playing on Grovin’ at Smalls’ Paradise is bit “churchy” sounding for my taste. I was thinking about Blue Bash after you suggested it. After I got back I double checked and I actually have the original LP. Jimmy’s performance with Kenny Burrell is much better on this album. Thanks for suggesting it, especially since I had not played it in awhile.

I played Blue Bash on Qobuz yesterday while working. Their version has a bonus track and a number of alternative takes too (14 tracks total).

1 Like

Hi @McRican
Glad you liked it, and even better, that you have the LP.
Yes the CD version has a few retakes. Your observation is spot on. There are quite a few performers who sound good only when banding with others. Another organist who plays good is Shirley Scott especially with Stanley Turrentine, whom she married for a while. I especially liked Blue Flames & Soul Shoutin’. Also I suggest Stanley Turrentine’s excellent works Blue Note Quintet/Sextet Studio Sessions He is joined by some of the best Jazz performers that ever lived. I think someone referred to it before. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Early Turrentine is special as is his work with Shirley. The latter CTI stuff can be fun but is not an the same performance level as the earlier items. Some of the CTI releases, not all, can be a bit overblown production wise. I guess my preference for Stanley is a more pared down sound.

3 Likes

Sam’s shows the 2016 10" EP as SOLD OUT with mention of a possible May re-release. I am now on the hunt, and have an email to Fred at Sam Records to determine USA availability. I do have the Speakers Corner vinyl, which is no slouch. I have an earlier CD version on Fontana/Verve as well. Also two original copies of Jazz Tracks.
Listening to the Mono SHM-CD and can say the sonics are exceptional and would heartily recommend this version to anyone who does not have a copy and prefers CD.

The movie was a hit last night, Criterion version.

3 Likes

Which years did he record with CTI, roughly

If you want to hear a more modern organ conception. . .check out Larry Young. I love his Blue Notes and a few of his later recordings. He did not live long enough!

2 Likes

Off the top of my head 1970 to 1977, MOL.
From Discogs:

1 Like

Can’t go wrong with Larry Young, a more modern less blues oriented or soul oriented sound. Two obvious recommendations:

As some would say on the PSA Forum Unity is the shizzz… :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Thanks. You have more info than Wikipedia :+1:t2: They say 1971- 1973

Additional Larry Young recommendation if you enjoy Into Somethin’ and Unity:

3 Likes

Discogs is our friend.

2 Likes

Most into jazz may have already figured it out, but due to my lazy nature the albums I post are from my collection, but the images are from my Discogs database. It is more efficient than snapping a digital image and posting. Depending on how far you like to dig into a particular artist or album it can be a good way to research the particulars.

3 Likes