Strictly Jazz Sounds

The music more than compensates for the less than stellar sound. Dollar Brand’s, Abdullah Ibrahim’s, earliest recordings were nothing special, but the performances have always been special for me. Rumor has it the indigenous South African musicians would book time at a South African recording studio. Typically late night after hours when the studio was not booked. The recording was more or less a rush job, relying on first takes only as the recording engineer was in a rush to finish up.

The above, Sphere Jazz is the best example of that in my collection, but the performance “heals all wounds”.

The enja pressed LPs in the states from the late 70’s through mid-80’s could be horrendous. The imported, German, versions at least offered better vinyl.

1 Like

Yes, have this one and many others. I agree.

An early, 1969, favorite from Dollar Brand, African Sketchbook.

3 Likes

Listening now, apparently his first solo album.

2 Likes

1 Like

CD or LP, a the LPs were sourced by a friend in the Madison area?

One last Abdullah Ibrahim LP, Good News from Africa. Duets featuring Johnny Dyanni and Abdullah Ibrahim. Dyanni’s bass work is just incredible.

4 Likes

CD… No issues, but I would like it on the black stuff.!

1 Like

Interesting new double set from Mary Halvorson, this is the first disc, the second disc is called ‘Belladonna’.

Mary Halvorson guitar
Patricia Brennan (vibraphone)
Nick Dunston (bass)
Tomas Fujiwara (drums)
Jacob Garchik (trombone)
Adam O’Farrill (trumpet).

3 Likes

Amaryllis.
Ordered Double LP yesterday.

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

Not out on vinyl until Fall 22!

I’m seeing Scofield in MPLS in September tho!

1 Like

3 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

Yes, but sound wise I think it will not be important to have it on vinyl anyway.

Listening to ‘Belladonna’ now.

I’ll be very interested to get your impressions of these new compositions.

1 Like

2 Likes