Strictly Jazz Sounds

It’s not necessarily lazy nature in my case (though my case wouldn’t stand up to a well-delivered argument) but I don’t have a camera or even a phone that connects to the internet. I’m no photographer and I dislike phones in general. So I am also listening to discs in my collection, but using images from the internet.

Right now
Kenny Barron “Canta Brasil”

You might begin dancing listening to this one. . . .

2 Likes

Well, you guys are right, it’s a killer album, and it sounds very good streaming from tidal 88.2. I think I will avoid the rabbit hole for the time being…thanks.

1 Like

You can still get the SAM on Discogs and elsewhere, it’s really the best, I also have the other reissues…and it’s for sure a generation earlier than the SHM.

Saw that earlier, considering a reissue scheduled for May is E24, I can wait. Those available on Discogs aren’t going anywhere anytime soon:

Eberhard Weber’s reworking of pieces he performed over a 17 year period with the Jan Gabarek Group.
My understanding is Eberhard pulled solos from previous performances and reassembled them. Strictly for fans.

1 Like

It’s also important to be aware that the Speakers Corner is the dry and the SAM the wet version, so as myself, you will need both :wink:

The SAM sounds much better than other wet versions.

SFJazz Collective Inaugral Season Live 2004, disc 1

Original Compositions and Works of Ornette Coleman

Larry Young’s Into Somethin’ and Unity are excellent LPs. I’m not familiar with In Paris, but I will check into that one.

A great album! He wasn’t able to play anymore, so he created something out of his recorded solos.

1 Like

Ah, Martini or Negroni, both have their place.

Yes, the consequence of a rather severe stroke.

Back to Jazz:

3 Likes

Well if you also know the drenched in reverb (wet) cinema version, you realized that it’s more like a difference between Martini and Scotch :wink: The studio version sounds quite veiled and dark in comparison to the cinema version anyway and especially from the Speakers Corner. From all the cinema versions the SAM sounds by far the most transparent and holographic. It will be a valuable collector’s item as soon as it’s out of print.

I’ve been searching for 43 years for the the actual recording of “In My Solitude” that WFMR’s Ron Cuzner used to open his 12:00 AM show every weeknight (I was in architecture school at UW-Milwaukee, so there were many, many late nights in the studio). Lo and behold, it’s on this not terribly rare collection of Ellington Indigos. Cuzner was a character, and we enjoyed his on-air persona a lot (there are several recordings of his show out there on YouTube).

3 Likes

One of my desert island recordings! I have a Columbia original stereo and original mono lp, and I have the Impex gold cd that combines the stereo with mono takes that are alternate. Just wonderful arrangements, playing, and that lush, full sound that Columbia could produce in that studio at that time. Love the music, especially the interesting piano introductions by “the piano player.”

Right now
This one again. Their interpretations of Coleman works are very interesting to hear with piano, vibes and four horns.

SFJazz Collective Inaugral Season Live 2004, disc 1

Original Compositions and Works of Ornette Coleman

I haven’t obsessed over vinyl versions of this, only having the “Jazz Track” version on LP, but the latest (European I believe) 2 cd release sounds marvelous. I prefer the version without the added reverb. Never took to the film.

Third in the Sam Rivers Archive series on NoBusiness records. Good sounding 1978 concert from San Francisco. I’ve always considered this the best Rivers trio.

2 Likes

Chick Corea"Origin–Live at the Blue Note"–single disc version. Some of my favorite Corea.

I recently played this Japanese import with Vinnie Colaiuta sitting in for Weckl. Love the music, but I wish the kick was a little louder in the mix. I also needed to back my subs down a bit to get it to sound right. Some might not like Vinnie’s relatively heavy handed approach to the material, but to me he can do no wrong!

91q3wVO2wdL.SS500

Fred of SAM Records got back to me, release in May 2021 with orders opening April 15, 2021.
I’ll stick by my analogy, the dryness of a proper Martini versus the slight sweet and bitterness of a proper Negroni. The analogy fits our protagonists in the film, Julien and Florence.