Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

In my Bebop collection, there is a pianist named Sadik Hakim who played with Bird on a few tracks on a Savoy Record in 1945. Also, there is a Bebop vocalist named King Pleasure who took tunes from Bird, James Moody, Pres and others and added lyrics to those songs!

1 Like

4 Likes

2 Likes

What songs were those with Sadik Hakim that you refer to? I’ll assume they are included in the Complete Dial and Savoy Studio Recordings. They may also be in an earlier box set I have as well which is not duplicated by the aforementioned Savoy/Dial set, as they are live “takes”… From what I see in Discogs, Al Haig is listed as the pianist, with no mention of Sadik, so probably not it.

2 Likes

Sadik appears on two tunes here:

2 Likes

This 1945 The Charlie Parker Story lists Sadik Hakim as the principle pianist, with credit also to Dizzy Gillespie. From what I can tell Sadik appears on Thriving on a Rift and Koko.

Again, as in 1945 there were no LPs, so tracking down the proper reissue can be tricky. Not having my Parker CDs on hand means I must rely on the internet.

2 Likes

Thanks.
I’ll just add referencing the music is great but including a link to the album or a cover image is most helpful, as lonson did. :wink:

Ko-Ko, Hen Gates, AKA Dizzy Gillespie listed on this 1945 78 RPM shellac.

1 Like
2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

Excellent live set.

John Escreet - piano
Evan Parker - saxophone
John Hébert - bass
Tyshawn Sorey - drums

3 Likes

1 Like

3 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

Found this as Live in Concert isn’t currently available on Tidal.

2 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes