Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Michael Cosmic’s Cosmic Paradise, Peace in the World, & Phill Musra Group, Creator Spaces. Peace in the World was recorded in 1972 and 1974, released in 1975 originally on Cosmic Records. This double LP is a 2017 reissue on the Now-Again Records label.

This double LP is pretty far out there, even for Free Jazz. Fans of Sun Ra’s mid-60s New York sound may want to give it a listen. There are hints of Pharoah Sanders post John Coltrane era as well as Don Cherry’s world jazz of the early 1970’s. Some have referred to it as as a “Second Wave New Thing”.

I do recommend the following review:
Dusted Magazine Review

It features the following musicians:
Michael Cosmic: Reeds, organ, percussion, alto and soprano saxophones, flute and piccolo flute, zurna and percussion.
Phill Musra: Reeds, chimes, percussion, zurna, soprano and tenor saxophones, and flute.
Huseyin Ertunc: Drums and percussion.
John Jamyll Jones: Bass.
Eric Jackson: Percussion.
Leonard Brown: Soprano and tenor saxophones.

Zurna, Turkish and Central Asian double reed instrument.

3 Likes

If I remember well (memories in Bulgaria), that sounds like a noisy and quacking shawm.

1 Like

Natural Information Society, descension (Out of Our Constrictions).

Joshua Abrams: Guimbri
Lisa Alvarado: Harmonium
Jason Stein: Bass Clarinet
Mikel Avery: Drums
Guest Artist: Evan Parker - Soprano Saxophone

Speaking with Joshua at a recent concert at UW-Parkside I asked what most influenced the NIS sound, and his response, The Trance of the Seven Colors.

descension (Out of Our Constrictions)

Natural Information Society

3 Likes

Seven band members. How do they earn enough money to make any sort of living wage?

They live a simple life, and I should add none are audiophiles. NIS for decension was a group of four musicians with special guest Evan Parker when they played and recorded at Cafe Oto. Josh and Lisa are Partners. This is just one reason why I support active performing musicians, and buy their music from them directly. Listen to the music and I believe you’ll get it.

Surprised this question has not come up on other big band orchestras, or even the destitute Marshall Allen Sun Ra Arkestra:

3 Likes

Oh I think about it a lot, just never mentioned it before.

They are a bit too drum circle trancy for me. It reminds me in a way of a 20 minute Grateful Dead jam.

Thanks for sharing, as you know not everything is for everyone.

I try to broaden our collective listening experience. That has been the initial impetus for this particular thread, not a matter of album covers per se.

3 Likes

I understood and appreciated your intention from the first time I saw this thread. It’s an impressive amount of music to be considered.

Thanks!

1 Like

…and more importantly listened to live, supporting the music, the scene and most importantly the musicians.

2 Likes

Moving on to Spiritual Jazz, Alice Coltrane’s epic Journey Into Satchidananda, featuring Pharoah Sanders, Cecil McBee, Majid Shabazz, Rashid Ali, and Tulsi. A key influence for many Spiritual Jazz albums and the current Brit Jazz resurgence. The tree frogs and birds are singing along with this one.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Coming back to an edgier vibe. The neighbor’s niece from Florida, heard me playing this and had to know, what, who, and how. Being of Scandinavian heritage may explain a small piece of her interest and her interest in the arts.

Norwegian Fire Orchestra, featuring reedman and Vinyl Fanatic Mats Gustafsson.

3 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

81vATB2BS3L.SS500_PIPJStripe-Robin-Large-V2,TopLeft,0,0
A young (30?) guitarist with some interesting ideas.

3 Likes

I used to stare at that picture of Marguerite Eskridge over and over. I was a lonely boy, and I listened to this 2 LP set a lot in the early 'Seventies. That smile hooked me.

Miles and Ms Eskridge

4 Likes

John Coltrane “My Favorite Things” 50th Anniversary 2 cd set, mono mix cd. Sounds great. I ended up with two of these sets because I chose not to wait for Rhino to mail me my pre-ordered copy which took 3 weeks to arrive.

8 Likes

6 Likes