Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

4 Likes

I am very familiar with that record. Beautiful stuff !

1 Like

3 Likes

If you don’t know this album, you should.

3 Likes

Keith Jarrett Trio “Still Live” ECM Japan cd 2

It’s been a while since I played this one but it’s one of my favorite Jarrett Trio recordings.

7 Likes

Ibrahim Maalouf “Kalthoum” Impulse cd, “Special Tour Edition” (box with art cards)

Arranged By – Frank Woeste, Ibrahim Maalouf
Double Bass – Larry Grenadier
Drums – Clarence Penn
Piano – Frank Woeste
Saxophone – Mark Turner
Trumpet – Ibrahim Maalouf

5 Likes

RIP Pharoah Sanders, October 13, 1940 – September 23, 2022.

6 Likes

Been away from the internet for a bit, a good thing, and just learned of Pharoah’s passing. His music provided e with much joy and celebration. A great artists to be certain, and I am glad to have met him and to have experienced his music. Returning to The Creator has a Master Plan followed by You Got to Have Freedom.

8 Likes

Having seen Charles McPherson live yesterday thought I’d return to some old favorites.

2 Likes

HDTT release on “24k Gold CD”; DMP over I2S to DS DAC.

7 Likes

RIP Sue Mingus.

3 Likes

I am anxious to read whose post will pass the 10k mark.

A bit of straight ahead morning jazz on the CD player with Barney Wilen Quartet Le Ca: New York Romance. Kenny Barron and Barney Wilen are just right to my ear on this Venus release.

6 Likes

A handful of Mingus Big Band CDs in my collection, each produced by Sue Mingus that never fail to impress.

5 Likes

Personally, I prefer content more than the numbers, just my opinion. There is certainly a lot of damn fine music available to us in various formats and venues. Seeking out the new and untried can be challenging yet fun. Let’s enjoy the music and share with others why we enjoy it; let the numbers take care of themselves.

1 Like

Just to repeat from the thread lead in my original intent when I initiated it:

Having just seen this quartet at the Hyde Park Jazz Festival, sans Joshua Abrams who was unavailable due to a prior commitment for the Festival, I have returned to the LP. Regarding the concert performance Jason Roebke, an understated bassist to say the least, filled in for Joshua and did a fine job indeed. The live set featured originals by Keefe Jackson and Dutch pianist Oscar Jan Hoogland as well as covers of works by Thelonious Monk and Misha Mengleberg. Fans of both composers will be well rewarded with These Things Happen.

2 Likes

Charles McPherson Live at the Cellar. A live set from Vancouver’s The Cellar finds Charles in fine form accompanied by a sympathetic local rhythm section. McPherson is best known for his work with Barry Harris and Charles Mingus. Photos are of the Charles McPherson Quintet at the Hyde Park Jazz Festival. While the photos may suggest otherwise Charles was anything but Kind of Blue. Highlights, in addition to his own compositions from the recent release Jazz Dance Studies, include Lover Man and Billie’s Bounce. A hot and energetic set.

1 Like

Each time I come back to Abdullah Ibrahim I ask myself why did I wait so long?

3 Likes

Polymath, James Baker, more questions than answers, solo piano.
Caught James’ solo performance at the Reva and David Logan Performance Center Penthouse kicking off the Hyde Park Jazz Festival recently. A wonderful and quirky set performed to a full house.

2 Likes