Strictly Jazz Sounds (Part 1)

Thanks for sharing the back story as I was unaware. I have been buying the Rollins, Evans and Montgomery on vinyl as they were released and picked up a handful of the Evans on CD when vinyl was not available. In general I have enjoyed each release for the production quality and the performances. Resonance is putting out a quality product.

Here is an example of a Bill Evans 2016 release i purchased when it was released. I enjoyed it so much I followed up with the vinyl release in 2020.

3 Likes

I just received the Monty Alexander release from September in the mail today. In some spots seem to have the mic to close to the cymbals but overall a very enjoyable performance and recording. Listened to that Evans release a couple of days ago.

I picked up the Monty Alexander LP at RSD/Black Friday. I have yet to listen to it. I have acquired too many LPs over the last month and am now playing a bit of catch-up. Good heads up on the cymbal miking.

Glen Moore of World Jazz Quartet Oregon, and Larry Karush, associated with 1970’s Steve Reich Ensembles.

ACT label has some amazing artists. It also features the annual Jazz festival with the Berlin Philharmonic.

1 Like

Great sound too.

1 Like

I’d agree ACT has some amazing artists. Which immediately come to mind that your personally enjoy. For me its Vijay Iyer and this particular album comes to mind immediately:

I am always looking for recommendations regarding this label.

2 Likes

@Sohail Thanks for sharing Jazz at the Philharmonic IX: Pannonica
I have this cued up on Tidal. Edit: Through the third track, this is a great tribute to the music of Thelonious Monk. Charenee Wades’ vocals on the first cut Round Midnight, really drew me in to this album. From there Ernie Watts sax runs on Bolivar Blues and Iiro Rantala’s piano work provide an interesting take on this Monk standard. Thanks for posting, highly recommended for fans of T.S. Monk’s compositions.

1 Like

Rich Halley is new to me, a rather obscure tenor sax player out of Portland Oregon. This Free Jazz set features Matthew Shipp §, Michael Bisio (b), Newman Taylor Baker (dr). This has just been added to Tidal. The interplay between Rich and Matthew alone makes this worth seeking out.

Cool, thanks. Sounds darn good, too.

1 Like

1 Like

It was " The Sage" that got me hooked on Chico…

Really…how can you go wrong with this lineup?

Love Jaco Pastorius…on this album.

A really great example of his development over those years.

Just really amazing toe tapping, make you happy, music… by a master guitarist.

6 Likes

Top of the list for me is singer and trombonist Nils Landgren who got the Swedish royal award for Jazz. I also recommend Viktoria Tolstoy, Paolo Fresu, Richard Galiano, Sylvain Luc, Andre Ceccarelli, and Philippe Aerts. Below are some favorites by Landgren.

1 Like

Gerry Mulligan had an interesting life and an interesting style. He recorded some amazing works with Paul Desmond, Dave Brubeck as well as Thelonious Monk.

2 Likes

Great sounding compilation of Ella Fitzgerald Duets with pianists, Ellis Larkins, Oscar Peterson, Paul Smith and Tommy Flanagan.

4 Likes

Money Jungle was the first Duke Ellington album I heard. It is a favorite of mine. My foray into music has not been chronological due to a lack of access during my early years.

4 Likes

It took me a while but one day I realized Betty Carter is an overlooked genius singer and talent developer and band leader.

Today
Betty Carter “Social Call” Columbia Special Products cd

Powerful early Betty with Ray Bryant small group and Gigi Gryce led bigger band.

Recorded May 13 & 16, 1955, New York City, New York, USA (tracks 1-6):

Betty Carter - vocals
Ray Bryant - piano
Jerome Richardson - flute, saxophone
Wendell Marshall - double bass
Jo Jones - drums
Recorded April 25, 1956 (tracks 7-11):

Betty Carter - vocals
Gigi Gryce - arranger and leader
Bernie Glow, Nick Travis, Conte Candoli, Joe Ferrante - trumpet
Urbie Green, Jimmy Cleveland - trombone
Sam Marowitz, Al Cohn, Seldon Powell, Danny Bank - saxophone
Hank Jones - piano
Milt Hinton - double bass
Osie Johnson - drums

I have the 1980 vinyl release as well. If I see a nicely priced copy of the newer cd from Sony Europe I may go for it. . . .

1 Like

The Essence of Beoop by JIm Snidero: A nice summary of JIm’s book as a guide on how to listen to bebop has been posted on the Discogs Blog. The summary is worth a read:

2 Likes

This showed up yesterday, and my first chance to listen this morning. Highly recommended as Sonny is in fine form on this as well as Vol.2.

2 Likes

@Lonson, incoming LP based on your recommendation:

1 Like