Sunlight: Sound Impressions

I’m a little late to the party but I have finally heard the light! Played an Allan Taylor track the Tennessee Waltz I heard it hundreds of times but with sunlight it brought me a huge step closer to the real thing!

Then on to some Bill Evans live recordings and the soundstage is fantastic! My first time listening to a DSD 256 and what an amazing soundstage! I read several post yesterday about live recordings when the you hear an audience applauding its like sitting in the room while it’s happening! YES! Completely amazing! Bill Evans first track ended and the applause in the small venue I could feel the size of the room the recording took place in! Fantastic @tedsmith and @DarrenMyers Congratulations!

2 Likes

IME - Distance to attack wall (behind speaker) will have most influence on bass. Toe would have more influence on image and higher frequencies.

Thanks @cbl117. That was kind of my thought. I have the speakers pulled out several feet into the room as to not have woolly bass.
Here is an older photo.

4 Likes

That distance to attack wall looks about right. Distance between the speakers would have influence on mid-bass weight. Have you ever tried adding a blanket over the TV while critical listening?

LOL. Unfortunately I have a wife. Actually have a couple couches in the room now to do some absorption. The panels in corners are actually 6" thick total fiberglass traps.
Room is long and slightly on dry side. LOL.

Ted, thank you for that. You the man! I guess, then, that the bass is rendered purer with less noise or coloration, giving the perception that it is weaker. There are so many audibly desirable improvements in the new upgrade that I am now motivated to work on improving the perceived frequency balance of my system. It is not far off optimal. For enhanced bass I may try inching the loudspeakers closer to the wall.

1 Like

Yesterday when I first listen to Sunlight, I felt the bass was a bit weaker, but not today. The bass is puncher and the whole soundstage is better focused. The treble is cleaner but smoother in my system. Overall today the Sunlight sounded better.

Previously I set DS at 86, and it was I thought a best volume for my system. But now 92 sounded better. I never liked 100 in either FW connecting the BHK pre.

1 Like

I recommend some subwoofers. I personally use Rythmic Audio subs. It allows one to pull your main speakers far out for a deep soundstage and awesome imaging, yet have awesome bass.

6 Likes

My first take on this is that the number of ‘worse-sq’ opinions from owners seem a lot less with Sunlight than what we normally observe after a DS firmware upgrade. And this is good news.

3 Likes

Ha! This is day TWO

1 Like

Can someone share their breakin experience with the upgrade? I leave my DAC on 24/7 when not playing. Will that help with breaking in? Just curious. Tonight is my second night and it sounds awesome!

My criteria in the system is reality. Whichever sounds more realistic, I use my preference in that direction. Sunlight is definitely more realistic.

2 Likes

I ran “The Burn-In Track” from The Audiophile’s Guide all night and into this afternoon, approximately 17 hours, and just sat down for a listen. Everything sounds better. I don’t know why, perhaps there’s parts of the FGPA that weren’t exercised prior with Windom.

Sunlight was good yesterday and is fantastic today.

4 Likes

It’s still raining in Shemekia Copeland’s “Walk Until I Ride” but listening to her plight thru Sunlight is a treat. The soundstage is superior to Windom with a better in-the-room intimacy. All around a great recording and highly recommended.

2 Likes

The Low frequency modules are actually subwoofers. Each one is self powered with a plate amp, is 120 lbs, and has 2 10" speakers. They are rated from 20-250hz. I would say they are very fast and maybe not as weighty as some subs I have had before.
You are correct though I think- if I could move them around the room and separate them from the monitors I might find more optimal bass response. Again- the WAF is an issue. LOL.

I will get out the frequency test tone CD and my Radio Shack sound meter and play around with placement of the units a little.

I agree. The realism is increased.
It’s really a nice upgrade overall.

Based on your recommendation I just bought and downloaded this in DSD 256 I’m glad I have a 1gb connection. Yes it plays through Sunshine as promised via my Matrix. Great stuff.

2 Likes

My condolences. I hope your ears and sanity recover quickly.

4 Likes

A quote from my Wife: “What the F@#$ are you listening too? Who are you and what have you done to my husband?”

6 Likes

But we want to know how it sounded to you and your wife with Sunlight!

1 Like

I was just listening for Crickets. Once crickets were heard, we went back to the Burn-in track on our main rig while we worked. However, the crickets did sound very crickety, lots of soundstage and the highs were lovely. :wink:

4 Likes