System Photos!

Yes, I’m well aware of the cost of the Nasotec headshell. For me, it’s a worthy investment.

Also, the compliance has to do with the cartridge and tonearm, not the headshell.

Now you just “need” multiple headshells so you can swap carts depending on your mood and music!

2 Likes

I was thinking at the very least, a second inexpensive cart for when I purchase “new” used vinyl. I would use the cheap cart to test out the records, making sure they’re in good shape and such.

I have to say though, I’m extremely impressed with the phono stage in my Quad Artera preamp. It sounds excellent and has plenty of gain. Even if it didn’t have enough gain, I can increase the gain on that input alone up to 8+ dB.

2 Likes

15 Likes

NIce choices.

Lot’s of bang for the buck.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Well, curiosity got the best of me, and I decided to do another experiment. I played the “A” side of each album listed below. These are very familiar albums to me, and I have already played them all at least twice this past week alone, not including today. These were played with the AT-OC9XSL and Nasotec headshell. After I played these four albums (A-side only) back to back, I went to work on swapping the AT cart over to the stock Technics headshell and making the alignment with the stock Technics overhang tool.

Swing Out Sister - It’s Better To Travel
Eurythmics - Savage
U2 - Joshua Tree
Eastern Airlines - Images In Flight (mono)

Playing these four albums again now with the AT cart mounted on the Technics headshell revealed a few things. Bass has considerably more definition, detail and impact. Midrange and vocals are more precise and spacious. The treble is very clean and polished. Stage depth has increased with a natural amount of space around instruments and singers. And to top it all off, there’s still zero IGD anywhere on any of the albums.

Tonality-wise, everything holds true for the mono Eastern Airlines album. The center image is spot on with even a sense of depth within the recording.

In short, even though the Nasotec swivel headshell showed great improvements with the Ortofon and Sumiko carts over the stock Technics headshell, the exact opposite is true when it comes to the AT cart. This cart is a much better match to the Technics cart. With the AT-OC9XSL / Nasotec headshell combo, I always got a slight low rumble during very quiet passages and in between tracks. And in direct comparison to the Technics headshell, the treble took on an almost grainy texture with the Nasotec headshell.

Apparently, some carts such as the Ortofon 2M series greatly benefit from the Nasotec swivel headshell, and other carts such as the AT-OC9XSL do not. So with that being said, the Nasotec will be getting packed back up and shipped back.

3 Likes

Thanks, waiting to upgrade into the Airlens and MKII

1 Like

The Ultimate MBL system? Perhaps? I wonder about the system in such a room, but he appears to be enjoying it. From a recent Audio Asylum thread.

MBL Extreme

10 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: I can see a hardwired smoke detector but no lights in the room.

1 Like

FWIW, the referenced/linked article “rationalizes” the system placement by emphasizing the front and rear walls have been purpose built/retrofitted for audio, if you will.

Still, I can’t help but think more strategic room treatment tweaks are needed and the speaker placement remains suboptimal. Would love/have to hear them in this room to be sure.

It is hard to tell from the picture…but if the speakers are further apart than they are from the listener’s ears, then the first thing I would do is move the speakers so they are closer together until the desired effect is accomplished.

That said, these speakers are a different animal when it come to how they radiate sound. This set up could actually be killer!

:man_shrugging:

Simply put…find a different room.

4 Likes

If he can afford a system like that, he can afford to build a proper room so that he would be able to hear it in all its glory.

5 Likes

That’s understood from the Mono and Stereo posting which shows application of the fore and aft sound treatment installation.

Not having heard the installation, but would certainly love to, I’d assume a fair amount of thought went into the system set-up and speaker placement. It is just different from what I’d personally expect, mostly a deeper room and less parallel walls. Regardless it is an exceptional system and the listening seat appear to be especially comfortable.

I think that is the sweet spot @aangen likes but there isn’t a wall right behind him when he sits there!

1 Like

I prefer an open area behind my listening seat as well. I have one of four installations where it is not possible. Treating the rear wall with an absorber has helped slightly. I general I tend to listen near field and at lower volume. Visiting friends tend to increase volume on my system 12-15dBA, which is too loud for my ears.

1 Like

I’ve heard those speakers recently. Not impressed at all. And that system and that room?..

I’d much rather have my system and my room.

Extreme in any sense. I guess this is an apartment in a European Capital or lage City. Perhaps an apartment for a CEO who is staying for the week in the city. Away from his spouse who probably does not tolerate such wall of electronics in the living room, and probably does not need to know about such expenses.

I find it sad to see single persons listening chair in a listening room, it looks rather lonesome or s…ish.

4 Likes

My thought as well. Music is for sharing.

2 Likes

Outstanding! Did you do your do your Block Diagram 33 in Corel? I do block diagrams for my work circuits and it looks a bit Corel-esque.
Good idea, I might copy your system diagram method as I am delighted with my system, but my ratty old dilapidated house steers me away from pitiful photo submissions…

PS - you likely drove passed my shop in Courtenay, Vancouver Island BC…

Looks like the guy who shows up to ski in Tahoe with the best skis/equipment money can buy. Then the action starts and said guy has absolutely no idea how to use any of it and sucks all over the place.

1 Like