System Photos!

Much cooler than elephants.

Mark

Sweet Maggie’s :+1:

unplugged the Maggies this evening, to listen the little B&W speakers.
pretty impressive little units!!

and…breaking in my new DIRECT STREAM DAC! finally!

T

16 Likes

Awesome. Finally got mine too.

What Maggie’s? 20.7?

I love my Direcstream DAC driving my amp directly. It is interesting that you also have a VPI HW-19 in your system as I do. I use a Souther Tri-Quartz linear tonearm on it with custom Petersen Emerald interconnects and an Super OM-30 Cartridge. I may try a BHK preamp in the future but my system sounds wonderful right now!

2 Likes

What is that amp stand? Web link?

Hi darren. My maggies are the 3.6R’s.

Been looking for Maggies. I may have found a pair of 3.7i ( modded by MP ) and a pair of MP bass panels to help LF. I’m thinking of just doing it. I had been looking for 20.7’s.

Go for it man.

I wasn’t sure how the 20.7 would compare to the 3.7i with added bass panel pair? I have heard the 3.7i alone and the amazing 30.7’s. Just never the 20.7

if i had the cash, i would go for the 20.7’s on blind faith.
but i would still expect to add a pair of subs.

I’ve got a pair of JL Audio F113V2’s

Hi Philipp, I was on a show today in Alkmaar, Netherlands helping out my buddy who owns Helios, the importer of ATC for Benelux. This brand indeed draws a lot of attention and they really sound very nice…!
Here’s an impression…

3 Likes

Nice subs Darren. I bet the 3.7’s would sound killer with those subs!
T

Interesting as a long time owner of ATCs of many models since 1994, I would not describe them quite that way. Nice would be to me how Wilson or B&W or Sonus Faber or Monitor Audio or countless “hi-fi” brands sound. Usually they have a “smile” style EQ sound to them - tilted up in bass and highs. They sound their best at low to moderate levels and can get congested or dull at higher levels (typically sounding extremely loud when they aren’t actually that loud)

ATC are brutally honest and ruthlessly accurate and revealing and extremely dynamic. They sound the most like the real thing (live music) from all that I have heard so far. The trouble is that neutral and totally honest can actually be a little dull and less engaging sounding at lower than normal realistic volume levels (due to equal loudness curves). Crank up to typical realistic live music levels and ATCs have the dynamics and clarity of actual real instruments - something that most designs struggle to do convincingly. I would say they are the most “honest” sounding speaker I have ever heard even at incredible rock SPLs which means they aren’t really anywhere near the “nice sounding” sweeter sound that audiophiles tend to cherish.

1 Like

https://www.pillartechaudio.com

Agree, I have ATC SCM20 since 1990s and they are honest to the bone given their recording studio monitor heritage; They sounded best with amp with higher damping and higher power; bigger room and higher volume will really bring out their dynamics and nuisance. If sourcing equipments, cables, amps, recordings are not up to the level, they will show via ATC and won’t be pretty.

1 Like

yes, i totally agree with this description of ATC sound. I have a pair of ATC SMC40’s.
they love tons of power, and turned up high. it’s amazing how these speakers just smile and keep rocking. i will add, the midrange drivers are special. while, overall, the speakers are not characteristically sweet sounding…the midrange is deliciously engaging. love my ATC’s, but they must go. to make room for my Maggies!
Sully

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I guess that demo was a lot of fun. Love my ATC, seldom can crank them up for live levels, but even on low volumes they can provide an impressive clarity and directness.
Just listening to this with a mild hangover, I’m in heaven :wink:

8 Likes