System Photos!

These SCM 50 / 100 with their famous mid range are so good; If I want to get another ATC I would seek one of these!

2 Likes

The journey begins.

4 Likes

I like to think I am right there with you on the path. Seeing how I played a small part with the securing of the necessary financial resources…

Keep us updated.

:slightly_smiling_face:

These are the KLH 9’s you’re rebuilding? I’ve heard of them for decades but don’t recall ever seeing a pair. My first thought was early Magneplanars. Assuming these are the KLH, is this the before, during or after?

TWEEEEEEEEET

ALL CHANGE!

Feel your body melt…mum to mam to dam to dad…dad diddly office dad diddly office, OOH…you’re all fulla ball!

10 Likes

Yes I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone who purchased something. There are still a few items left like the Walker Audio devices, Audiophile grade Fuses, High Fidelity and Tara Labs interconnects. I think every item is more than fairly priced.

Yes, what you see in the picture are 5/6 or a total of 3 pairs of working KLH Nines in their original condition.

I purchased these in 04/08/18 from a very nice 75+ year old gentleman and his wife from the Boston area. He heard a pair before leaving for the Army and shortly after returning from the service he purchased his first pair. I stumbled on his sale post after visiting with David Janszen on Veteran’s day. The visit with David reminded me of how I said I wanted to purchase a pair back in 2016.

It has been my experience that when KLH Nines come up for sale they sell pretty quickly. These went unsold for more than 3 months. The Seller wanted to originally sell only two pair, but later added the third pair for the price of two. Several buyers expressed an interest from Arizona, California and Texas, but no one wanted to pay the freight to ship them. I would like to believe as Paul wrote in his daily posts that luck based on my sense of integrity brought these speakers to me.

I agreed to pay the Seller his asking price with the stipulation he drive them to a small town in Pennsylvania halfway between where we each lived. Before leaving on our trips, both the Seller and I independently confirmed with David Janszen that we both were making a good deal. I enjoyed my roughly 7-8 hour drive and the opportunity of meeting the Seller and his wife, both are great people. It pained him to sell them, but he loved his wife more. She was tired of them taking up so much space in her living room year after year.

He understood like me when buying speakers like these you are not only making an investment, but also now have a obligation as a Steward to preserve and protect them for the next generation of audiophiles. These speakers have likely be around for 58 years and now with rebuilding will likely out last me.

The first set to go in for complete rebuilding are the pair at the far left of the photo. They are heavily stained with cigarette smoke. The Seller purchased them years ago from a guy who did not appreciate what he had.

Sorry for the long post. More later

Old KLH Nine Photo. Not my house.
“The rule of threes” may not apply.
I have been told one pair of KLH Nines sounds good, two pair sounds even better, but three pair are to much. As three pair messes up the center imaging, but throws a huge soundstage image.

2 Likes

Cool story! And the detailed repsonse was most welcome, alwyas nice to hear when something works out so well. I too had a good experience getting the speakers I wanted. I have been a Vandersteen fan for a while and worked my from 2Ci to 3A Signature and really wanted 5’s, but they were expensive and very large to ship, so I waited for the right used pair to come along. Well, an Audiogon auction came up with what I wanted, the right finish (oak) and the right price. The only problem is they were in Maine which was a real long drive from Michigan and shipping quotes were shall we say, excessive, so I passed. Someone got them for the low bid, sigh. Well a few months later I see an another Audiogon ad for what looks like the same speakers and they are an hour away, woo hoo! I contacted the guy and they were, in fact, the same speakers, so I went and saw and listened to them and bought them on the spot. Got them for a decent price, what he paid including shipping (which was much lower than the quotes I got), and I have been happy ever since. Now if I can only keep my little demon kitty from climbing them I can uncover them and listen again!

1 Like

Not mine, but one of the guys on Vinyl Engine posted it. This space is so appealing.

13 Likes

I can’t help to wonder if the ceiling height difference above the left and right speaker might make for a problematic image presentation.

2 Likes

i wonder how it sounds when all four turntables are playing at once :slight_smile: Talk about G.A.S. I need to show my wife this from time to time to remind her that I’m not that bad.

post is now removed

16 Likes

Beautiful system! How are you liking the Triangle Art gear? I’ve always been impressed with their products.

post is now removed

1 Like

ATC speakers… Again…!? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Here’s half the gear a few minutes after I finished building the rack this afternoon. The problem was that the P-20 wouldn’t fit in my old Target stand. I bought a Salamander A-5, put the bottom shelf into place, hauled the P-20 onto it, and built the rest on top.

15 Likes

Where’s the PS Audio equipment…? :rofl:

2 Likes

18 Likes

Nice Focals. :smile: Just curious… what were your speakers before those and what made you switch to them?