System Photos!

Previous speakers were Wilson Audio Sophia IIs

Great looking system, is that a Timbernation stand?

1 Like

Nice @sfseay …! Had the XA30’s once… Great amps…! Now waiting for BHK250’s…

How do you the Focals compare to the Sophias? I’ve always been interested in the the Sopra No 1s but it seems they never make it to shows, always overshadowed by their big brothers.

Nice P3 (original)!

I have the same speakers in the same color :). How do you like them? I love mine. Many consider them bright. I don’t hear that at all in my set up. Nice looking room!

1 Like

How far apart do you have the speakers? What speaker cables do you use? Just curious. Cheers.

OK. Will try to answer all the questions in the same post. I do like the Sopras better than the Sophia IIs. The Sopras are more resolving, have a better top end, and they take up less space than the Sophias.

The rack and platform under the Lumin U1 are from TimberNation. Great rack and I’m really happy with it. The rack weighs about 135 pounds so plenty of isolation for my needs.

I don’t consider the Sopras bright, perhaps it is my Pass Labs INT-30 30wpc Class A amp that makes them warmer, but I have also owned and used a Classe A/B amp with them and a Class D Auralic Merak Class D. Never were on the bright side to me.

The speakers are about 8 feet apart and I sit about 10’ away. Not the most ideal setup, but it works for me.

I’m using AudioQuest AcousticZen Matrix Reference XLR Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight AES/EBU Cable, Audioquest CV-8 Speaker Cables, and various power cables including WAudio power cables that I really like (cheap and sound the same as the PS Audio power cables they replaced)

2 Likes

My audio room with KLH Nine speakers temporarily in place prior to rebuild.

23 Likes

Spectacular!
Chas

Nice, Doc!

Great space.

Nice looking setup! How do they sound? Assume those are the amps peeking from behind the KLH’s, can’t see enough to determine what they are, care to provide more information. Are the KLH hard to drive?

On a side note … interesting how the light makes the diffusers glow. Are the diffusers home made? They look different from what I am used to seeing.

Wauw…! Very nice…!

This is very elegant in appearance and probably sound quality.
I noticed the plants, and wondered whether you had ever used artificial plants as sound diffusers? Anyone else? I saw some in Paul’s listening room one. -Maybe just for decorative purposes.

1 Like

They are artificial plants for decoration and to add color the austere look of the system. Not sure about the diffusing properties. Thanks for the kind words. :+1:

The center diffusers are made of styrofoam squares and are made commercially. However I made wooden frames for them and mounted them with Velcro onto metal stands. This allows me to change the configuration and room placement to what sounds best. The Monoblocks amps are Odyssey’s which exert a great deal of control over the KLH speakers. Despite their age the speakers perform well nearfield, but can also pump out enough volume to fill my 14.5 X 35.5 foot room. What’s peeking out are two REL T7 subwoofers, with Supertweeters sitting on top of them. The Supertweeters were not connected, just sitting there temporarily. The stock KLH’s have a 800hz hump. They can produce a fair amount of bass, but the bass panels are mounted to tight, which is one thing that gets corrected in the redone Nine’s. In the double panel configuration and with the 30 degree mounting angle there is a wide sweet spot, so there is no “head in a vice” sensation. There is a slight haze or hash in the upper frequencies likely do to the effects of age. They are missing some of the micro details I believe they are capable of. Music through them still remains satisfying to my ears.

2 Likes

Oh my. Impressive.

Thanks for posting! What speakers are those?

Speakers. Rega RS 10 …

Yes RS 10s with MJ Acoustic subs, the photos are old and have now replaced the crimson amps with BHK250 will do some better photos but just wanted to join in a fun thread

3 Likes