Tesla Powerwall AC quality?

@eldrick - yeah, not about the technology, it’s about the special assessments and taxes… and weather it is worth it to go solar… thanks for the thread… every other year I like to think about why I didn’t go solar sooner… If I can get off the grid completely, yeah saving $173/month is a game changer and then it is 15 years, not 30 years…

thanks for posting this thread, good to discuss and gather different viewpoints…

Forgot - I don’t have my JUN bill or I would see if all those 19 fees are a scalar or offset terms. I assume part is scalar and part is offset. This is getting interesting… It would be cool to track when these fees developed and their effect over time…

Once again a power outage, and this is after PGE butchered all the local trees for “reliability” last fall.
Today we had 1/4" of drizzle, and bingo - another outage less than a mile from downtown.
My interest in the Powerwall is simply for reliability - as an investment, it sucks.

Drop the battery from the equation and the numbers begin to be much more palatable. Wait for storage costs to go down in the next decade…

I tripped up every solar salesperson when I did what you have discovered, take out the uncontrollables from the bill then do the ROI calc.

I’m 2 years in and happy to say I’m still headed for a 7 year return on my relatively small 5KW system, no storage. I purchased to get the 30% tax credit.

1 Like

@brett66 - yeah. the solar sales dudes always start with give me your bill. I start w/ here is my energy producing portion of the bill and this is what you will save. Also, you have to incur the laundry list of non sense additives to the bill. AZ cost of electricity is ~15 cents a kWh, not the 9 cents they like to brag about… another decade and I will try.

I just finished plans and on contract to build a house in Peoria, AZ… done in spring 2021 a little less than 6,000 sqft, one floor… with 75 ft lap pool; steps off master bedroom deck. 2X6 construction, attics double insulated and garage too… upgraded AC and running a 150 k BTU heat pump in tandem w/ 400 k BTU gas heater for pool; the HP heats the pool 10 months a year is 6X more efficient than gas although slower heat up… we swim laps every day of the year, the HP mainly heating the shoulders of the year…

2 Likes

And a listening room?

2 Likes

@brett66 - 22 ft X 21ft X 12ft with adjacent 22ft X 14ft X 12ft covered patio (double slider w/ transom windows). Designed the custom curtains and treatments already… 8 gauge single run from 400A panel for the single duplex engage for my P20. No tapping in box, direct duplex connection. Same w/ CB. Also running tube from router to equipment rack for Ethernet cable to be able to install any type Ethernet cable from router.

2 Likes