Tidal may be circling the drain

And record labels would make much more money not artists/bands/song writers.

That’s why there is offsite backup and you should not put yourself in danger.

Artist do better with the sale of their CDs than they receive from streaming royalties.

Of course I know that. I stopped using streaming services when Spotify deleted 10% from my playlist (youtube is even worse) - it was a big one with many hours of my work of selecting songs. I would like direct sales something like Tesla is doing. For example, I watch youtube/vimeo/soundcloud and contact them if I have found a good song and ask them for flac or dsf file for buying. I don’t want to advertise but there are some sites already.

Offsite backup is simply to store the physical shiny discs somewhere else.

When something happens to your files (cryptolocker, bad raid controller, fire, tornado etc) you need to start all over again. Couple of shiny offsite backup HDD wouldn’t do harm. :slight_smile:

If you know the Kaleidescape Premiere system you’d know that proposal is impossible. My backup for loss of one HDD is RAID, my backup for loss of 2 or more HDD are the physical CD discs, which are stored separately to the server.

Okay I get it, your options are limited. I just assumed “everybody” have computer based servers with no limits, but there are normal people also out there. :slight_smile:

Sorry for off topic, this topic was about Tidal after all.

You can get terabytes of cloud based storage for fairly cheap these days. Something to look into. I have over 40TB of audio/video in RAID locally but I still backup certain things via cloud storage.

As I said before, you can’t do that in the Kaleidescape ecosystem, it’s impossible, by design.

If you’re buying physical media then I don’t see a problem with my recommendation. But if you’re downloading the media through a service Kaleidescape offers then I understand.

Yes, I’m buying physical media which gets imported into my Kaleidescape server. If I back that all up to the cloud by some other means, and my house burns down, I can’t get that content back from the cloud on to a new Kaleidescape server. That is by system design.

There are certainly ways to do it. Rip discs to full ISO files, store them in the cloud. If you needed to put them back into your Kaleidescape system you simply burn them back onto a disc and insert it into the Kaleidescape server. This would be a fairly full proof and inexpensive way to do it. For around $100 a year you can find cloud services for this amount of data.

Burning over a thousand discs from cloud storage is a rather cumbersome way of going about it. Particularly when I already have all the original discs. This is why I don’t understand your suggestion.

As you said, you won’t have anything, not a Kaleidescape system nor discs if your house burns down. I figured you’d understand that as you were the one who mentioned it.

Oh right…I would lose the BR discs, because if the house burned down so would they. But I wouldn’t lose CD or DVD, because those discs are stored elsewhere. The more practical option I think would be just to re-buy all the lost BR. And that would be covered by insurance (I have $10,000 insurance on those).

I guess it depends on how you want to handle it. It would definitely cost more money to rebuy all the discs than it would to buy blanks and burn them. It’s a time vs money scenario. In your case, I’d be sure to have your media collection listed on your home owners insurance. :joy:

Yes, the media content has an insurance limit of $10,000 which would cover loss of my BR collection. It was difficult getting insurance for my other stuff, but eventually I found an insurer prepared to accept the risk. The value of my HiFi stuff compared to my house is a whacky equation which most insurers couldn’t understand.

Qobuz announced recently a soft launch in the USA in September and then a major launch in October, linked to various audio shows. They recently hired a top industry exec to run Qobuz USA.
It’s been my main source for 4 years.

1 Like

I’ve downgraded to free Spotify because I had a recent support experience that was rubbish. So, tonight I’m camped out in my favorite position listening to the lowest-rez version of Spotify. And it’s coming out of my old and otherwise redundant MacBook on a $2 USB cable which is my least favorite way to generate all those 1’s an 0’s. Whatever kbps that is I don’t know. And I don’t care. Ads play every now and then, no big deal. I’ve stumbled upon this most captivating electronique album, Way Out West - Tuesday Maybe (Anjunadeep label). I just can’t believe I’m listening to this for free. I’m surrounded by the most captivating sound; basically endless remixes of the same song that just have me glued to the seat. It is more engaging than any hi-rez download I’ve bought or heard. DSD256 is dead, long live the lowest-rez Spotify. I’m feeling guilty this is for free, I’m inclined to start paying for it again.

I just bought the album on CD from a store in the US. And because it’s now 1 July I had to pay $1.81 tax on it. Yep, US merchants shipping to Australia now have to collect Australian taxes on what they ship to Australia. And the really whacky thing, if I bought the same album on the Australian eBay store I wouldn’t have paid any tax.

Brainwave. Now I’ve flicked over to Tidal, because I can get that at CD quality FLAC 1.411 Mbps. I’ve never heard anything like this. There is so much more of everything. And it’s being sucked out of the ether on my WiFi! Can’t wait to get my hands on that CD I just bought, and spin it on some proper hardware.

You are paying for it with the advertisements. It’s a mutually beneficial proposition. It’s no different than you watching television via OTA broadcasts or listening to a song on a radio station. The major difference here is that you can choose the song or album you want to listen to. Welcome to the future (that got here about a decade ago).