Troubleshooting Flaky UPnP Connections

I have PWD just upgraded to a DirectStream. I use JRiver as a DLNA server on a Windows 7 machine and an iTouch running eLyric as a control point. All connections except for the iTouch are ethernet cable based running through a Cisco Linksys E4200 router.

I have set up a static IP address for the bridge.

The system will remain connected for one or two songs and maybe for a couple of hours on a good day. Some times I can reconnect by just waiting a few seconds through the device manager on the eLyric app on the iTouch . Other times I have to reset the uPnP on the bridge using a browser and then reconfigure the eLyric app on the iTouch. Is this normal or is there something I should be looking at to maintain a more consistent connection?

The problem existed prior to the upgrade to DirectStream and hasn’t changed since the upgrade. Between me and the rest of the family there are many Mac’s, Pc’s, Android devices etc. on the premises for potential interference or competing for bandwidth.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

It’s probably a network issue and I am no network expert. One thing that might help is to put the Bridge and the server PC on a separate switch and then plug that switch into the router (to preserve internet access when it is needed). That way they shouldn’t be competing for bandwidth with all those other devices.

Anybody else have any other suggestions?

I’m no network expert either but Steve’s suggestion sounds like a good one; I do something like that (a switch in the music room that connects the NAS, the Bridge, and my NPC.). It’s true that the Bridge/eLyric combo is a little flaky, but you should be able to do a lot better than having to reset every hour or two. I have static IP addresses for all my equipment, not just the Bridge, which seems to help.

What they said. Put the server and bridge on their own switch with one port of that switch connected to the rest of the network. Unfortunately, the Bridge seems to be quite sensitive to a less than perfect network. I might even suggest getting a WiFi router to use for the music network and set its WiFi up with it’s own SSN just for the tablet connection into the music network.

J.P.

I do need to note that if you use a router for your music network you will normally connect one of the regular ports to your main network (not the WAN port) and disable DHCP on one of the routers, probably the new one. You could connect to your primary network using the WAN port and that would help isolate the music network further, but while the music network would be able to access the primary network, the music network would not be accessible from your primary network.

Please feel free to ask for more information and/or clarification if this is confusing but of potential interest to you.

J.P.

Thanks all,

I’ll pick up another switch and isolate the components.

I’ll let you know how it works out.

I said I’d report back so here goes. I isolated the JRiver to DirectStream via a separate switch. There was no apparent improvement in the connectivity inconsistencies.

Since I was trying to “burn in” my DS, I thought I would take the ITouch based control point out of the picture by just using JRiver directly to shuffle and play my entire library while I was at work etc. This was still acting flaky. JRiver would serve up between 13 tracks and 80± tracks before disconnecting.

The whole analysis project then underwent a fluky series of events that may shed some light on things. I had to undergo a total knee replacement so I had to put the whole project on the shelf for a while. Meanwhile at work, we were configuring a new phone system and needed a music player for the “on hold” calls. The cheapo MP3 players would only play while disconnected from a charger. So my son who was assisting in the phone system configuration decided to surprise me with a brand new ITouch with more memory etc. so I could take some tunes for my hospital stay. He could also use my early version ITouch for the player at work.

After convalescing for some time, I loaded up the new ITouch with the Elyric control point software and resumed my listening. The new ITouch was a little flaky while I was doing the initial configuration but, since that time, the entire system has been relatively stable.

Therefore, I suspect that it was my early version ITouch that was causing the problem.

Even running the shuffle of the library direct from JRiver, the ITouch was still plugged in. I’m not overly familiar with the various IOS’s but I suspect that the Elyric may have still been loaded into memory or the ITouch was still polling the network or somehow otherwise interfering with the process.

I hope that was the problem and that this post may be of some assistance to people using early version ITouches who may be experiencing apparent network issues.

Indeed and thank you for sharing on the forums.