USB input in back of DSJnr not allowing me to push USB cable in all the way

Hi,
I am having an issue with my DSJ. I have been using Roon to stream to the DSJ for the last little while but I just went to re-attach my USB cable to the rear to have a comparative listen and it will not let me push the USB connector all the way in. My PC is not seeing it as the connection is not getting made. I think it's getting to maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the way in.
Have you heard of this before? Are there pins inside the USB input that might have been bent? If so, is there a way to safely re-position them so that the unit will accept a USB plug? I am very gentle with my equipment and I have no idea how this has happened. The equipment sits in my office and no one else has access to it (no kids for example).
Any ideas?

Mark

Have you tried a different cable? That will tell you if it is the input or the cable.

I tried 3 different USB cables.

I’ve owned lots of DAC’s but I’ve never had this happen before.

I’d call PS Audio support.

The first few times I used my USB cable with my Jr it was quite firm. If you are reaching behind the unit perhaps you should take it out of the rack the first time or two so that you can see that you are going straight in and that the orientation is correct. USB connectors are pretty robust, you can probably just look in the hole and see if something has gone horribly wrong.

scumbag said
Hi,
I am having an issue with my DSJ. I have been using Roon to stream to the DSJ for the last little while but I just went to re-attach my USB cable to the rear to have a comparative listen and it will not let me push the USB connector all the way in. My PC is not seeing it as the connection is not getting made. I think it's getting to maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the way in.
Have you heard of this before? Are there pins inside the USB input that might have been bent? If so, is there a way to safely re-position them so that the unit will accept a USB plug? I am very gentle with my equipment and I have no idea how this has happened. The equipment sits in my office and no one else has access to it (no kids for example).
Any ideas? Mark
Hi Scumbag,

The USB input in the DsJ does not allow the USB male B terminal end to insert fully. A little of the cable should be protruding once inserted. Our USB products require a Driver if using a Windows machine. The Driver is available for download on our website:

http://www.psaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/PSAudio-USBAudio2.0DriverLatest.zip

After installing this driver you must choose the DsJ as the USB playback destination in your Sound window. If you have any further trouble please reach out to us at:

service@psaudio.com

We’ll get back to you very quickly.

Thanks,

• Jeremy

I’ll pull it out of its position today and have a proper play with it. Thanks for your help guys.

Hello,

Thanks everyone for you help comments. I’m a bit embarrassed to report that after pulling the DSJ out and having a play with it, the USB was getting a connection with my laptop. I had inserted it and used the USB connection when I first got the unit but I never really looked at how far the USB connection goes into the back of the unit. It seems a bit less than other USB inputs that I’ve used in my previous DAC’s.

So it’s all good. Listening to some great sounds through my Curious Cable now, filtered by an IFI IUSB3 from my laptop!

Thank goodness that another catastrophe has been averted, I can sleep easy again.

scumbag said I'm a bit embarrassed to report that after pulling the DSJ out and having a play with it, the USB was getting a connection with my laptop.
No need to be embarrassed. We all have done worse. Well, at least I have . . . :)

What matters is you got it working and people helped you to think it through.

What Elk said. I’ve done much sillier things than that. And asked for help about them.

I had the opposite problem with USB and my Benchmark Dac2. Once the cable is plugged in it does not want to come back out.

I mean it is in there to the point where I was afraid I would damage something. At least you did the right thing and asked questions. I just yanked on it until it came out. I still don’t know why. I don’t see any special releases.

Always better to be safe than sorry. I’ve wrecked a few things in my time by being too hasty. All good now though.