Use Oppo as a transport into PS Audio PWD for SACD

Is it possible to use the Oppo BDP 83 as a transport to my PWD MkII for SACD listening? if so would it go through IS2 or Coaxial?thanks!

Hi @ angelodellatti. Unless you retrofit an aftermarket I2S output card to the BDP-83 (which may not exist for your older Oppo?), you are stuck with the S/PDIF (coaxial) digital output. This rules out SACD or DVD-A hi-res bit streams from being passed to an external DAC as they each use proprietary encryption. So this makes your BDP-83 only useful as a CD transport.

2 Likes

Many thanks Vince! Very useful information!

Best regards

Angelo

Sent from my mobile device; please excuse brevity and typos.

Even if the oppo was compatible the perfectwave dac does not handle DSD.

It is possible to get a SACD DSD bitstream converted to 88.2/24 through the HDMI output from your Oppo. And it would also handle DVD-A in its high rez.

You would have to get what is called a HDMI extractor. The HDMI output from the Oppo would go into an input into the extractor. Then, the extractor outputs the digital bitstream through Toslink (some may have coax, but mine does not). And there is a HDMI output to go to your surround processor.

I picked one up from Monoprice for about $40. For me, this was a good investment and I am enjoying all my digital through my Junior.

Do not connect the Oppo HDMI OUTPUT to the HDMI i2s input on any PS Audio DAC they are not compatible and could cause damage to either or both units.

1 Like

It won’t cause damage, but it certainly is not compatible, that’s correct.

1 Like

Many thanks to you all for your feedback and suggestions.

I already have a PWT Memory Player - I am very happy with it - and am using the Oppo BDP-83 in my media room. I came across a good priced BDP- 103D and was wondering if worth upgrading the BR reader in my media room and if I could then use the BDP-83 for SACD playback (which cannot be played on the PWT). It seems that the whole exercise is a bit convoluted and may not be worth the effort (given also I am moving more to online streaming and less to physical discs).

Thanks Deanhorn for the suggestions on the HDMI extractor, I also found one that uses Coax and SPDF out.

I have a couple of follow up questions:

1. Would the SACD signal coming from the Oppo be degraded in any way through the Extractor before reaching the PWD?
    2.Also, would it make any difference if I used the SPDF out instead of the Coax (Coax is currently used by my Bluesound Node 2i and I would not want to swap cables every-time).

Many thanks again to all! It is my first time I posted a question here and I am sincerely humbled by how you all are generous with your time and experience!

Best regards,
Angelo

1 Like

Thanks Paul it is good to know it won’t hurt anything if someone makes that mistake.

@ angelodellatti you can still purchase an aftermarket I2S board to retrofit to the BDP103 from Oppomod. So with this relatively inexpensive mod and the newer player would be possible to use over I2S with the newer DirectStream DAC for stereo SACD and DVD-A playback.

1 Like

Attempting to answer your questions:
1.Would the SACD signal coming from the Oppo be degraded in any way through the Extractor before reaching the PWD? ANS: I don’t think the extractor can pass SACD (DSD), so I am having the Oppo convert it to 88.2/24. And mine is input to the Junior which cannot take in DSD in the Toslink input and I would assume the PWD would be the same. Does the PWD have a digital input? I would assume the conversion from HDMI to SPDIF might degrade some, but my set-up sounds great.
2.Also, would it make any difference if I used the SPDF out instead of the Coax (Coax is currently used by my Bluesound Node 2i and I would not want to swap cables every-time). ANS: I will leave this to Ted since he is the expert. He has said in the past that the type of input to the Directstream DAC’s do not make much difference.