We have Critters

A couple of years ago I assumed the care of a large colorful rooster named Hawk. He was a terror with hens around, but calm and pleasant living in the woods with me. He had a remarkable personality; very social, wanted to help working on cars and motorcycles, a dry subtle sense of humor. He was a hoot.

What sort of terror? Aggro? Politically incorrect? Couldnā€™t control hisself with the hens? ; )

He attacked people who approached the hens. He would fly at you and peck, etc. I saved him from being hit with a defensive shovel. I also learned that an attacking rooster, even a large one, will bounce off a pair of Wellies.

While living with me the biggest challenge was to make sure I knew where he was when leaving on/in a vehicle. Back-up cameras became known as ChickenCam. He was actually good at watching, but I would have felt terrible if he became pressed chicken under my car(e).

2 Likes

ā€œChickenCamā€ : )

2 Likes

Iā€™m 100% convinced my wife loves this guy more than me!

10 Likes

No backtalk, nice Hair, and his poop is smaller. But marriage to him would leave something to be desired, IMO ; )

3 Likes

Badbeef, sorry to hear of Eddieā€™s passing. We lost one of our cats about a year and a half ago, was a sad time for me. I should add that the 30 lb cat you mentioned must have been a monster! One of our cats is 15 lb and he is pretty big, but 30 lb? Yikes!

On a brighter note, hereā€™s a photo of the demon kitty (proper name Jane Doe - we found her without any ID or responsible adult!) shortly after I ā€œrescuedā€ her from the wilds of suburbia!

She doesnā€™t have much fear ā€¦ yet. Here she is having a talk with our two parrots, Rocky (small one) and Bullwinkle (big, dumb one).

Finally, a more recent photo of her waiting for a belly rub! Sheā€™s about seven months old and 6 lb now.

8 Likes

Yeah - Iā€™m probably exaggerating on the 30 lbs. But twice as big and fat as any cat Iā€™ve ever seen.

1 Like

My two cats.

The one curled up is Zacchaeus 17.5 lb and the the other one is Hugo at 22.5 lbs. Two very loveable big cats.

6 Likes

I had a 20 pound Main Coon who was pure muscle. There are a couple of breeds of large powerful cats.

2 Likes

Sweet. I love big cats. Both of mine are just normal cats that are just pure muscle. I had a big black cat when I was real little that was 20 lbs but was more fat than muscle. I just love the little fur balls.

1 Like

Had to say goodbye to 15 year old Maggie (on the right) earlier this month. The ā€œpupā€ on the left (Sasha) is still trouble - and no pot of mums is ever safe! :grinning:

7 Likes

Cats are fascinating animals.

I enjoy knowing they would treat us as a food item if they were a bit bigger.

Along these lines, a bit of ghoulish information. A coroner told me when the deceased are not discovered for days and there are dogs in the house, the body is rarely touched. If there are cats . . .

1 Like

My Condolences.

Great (and different) sets of eyes on those kids : )

Well, for sure fur and coloring around the eyes! But stillā€¦

Edit #3:

I Just reread the end of the last sentence, and saw the mums. Was this actually in the moment? : )

Sacha SO looks like, ā€œthatā€™s my story, and Iā€™m stickinā€™ to it!ā€ : )

2 Likes

Hey, wglenn, starter of the Threadā€¦are you Critterless?

ā€¦and is your Avatar HAL?

pmotz, so - Jane is recent (like this month), or when did you find her?

Spill! ; )

Thanks, BBā€¦appreciate it.

Happy New Year.

Scott

After having numerous cats during my adult life, including one close to the size of Maine Coon, Iā€™ve returned to my child hood with two dogs. This is our older of the two. Here at 9 months old, now 18 months. Tell me there isnā€™t a soul in there.

5 Likes

Yep. Caught just following the act and confronted by Momma Bear. To their credit, neither ratted on the other. :grinning:

Wow. One of those Old Souls.

1 Like