We'd like some help with Octave

We will do our best to make that happen.

That’s good to know. Previously we were told the opposite (in the previous forum), that the Bridge bits were surface mounted with all the other bits that make DSJ work.

Well, they are surface mount parts, that’s accurate, but the module itself is plugged into the main board of DSJ.

P.S. The threads and posts from the earlier iteration of the forum have been ported over into this one.

Even better, people are reading them. I enjoy seeing posts updating a thread which was previously quiet for six+ months.

Apologies, just catching-up on Bridge III threads.

This is what I got so far:

• Built in Octave server (may no longer be Roon endpoint)

• Built in WiFi and Ethernet

• DSD128

• Around $799

Paul, will it arrive before say Black Friday shopping or Christmas 2018? :slight_smile:

Will Octave be able to be populated with metadata from JRiver MC that has already been entered in the JRiver database residing on my computer eg album title, artist, composer, orchestra, genre etc?. I have thousands of albums somewhat painstakingly entered in JRiver.

Octave will honor the user’s metadata. So, if that metadata is written into the file header then when you transfer it to Octave it will become the info we use.

Along these lines, and this may have already been answered, will Octave allow users to assign what metadata fields go where?

Various programs have different fields - the names of the fields, etc. can vary and even if they have the same name they may be used differently so that one may populate the field to work in a particular program, but it may be useless in another. Being able to control where the fields are ported to Octave could be of great help.

BTW, the test Octave link in the first post still has no data in it.

Thanks, Elk. Not sure I quite understand. Can you give an example?

An example is some programs use “Band;” others, “Ensemble.” Another example is “Date Released” v. “Year.”

There are also fields used in some programs or formats not used in others. For example, ID3 has a field for “Total Discs.” Vorbis and APE do not.

Is this labeling done by the CD manufacturer (e.g. wrong data in wrong fields), or done by the ripper?

I ask because when ripping some box sets, I noticed that some CD in the same box would have slight variations in their data.

The CDs themselves do not contain any meta data. Not even ID codes. There are different ways that discs are recognized and various data bases that are then consulted for the meta data, which has been collected from users. That’s where things can go screwy as you sometimes end up getting meta date entered by different users for discs in the same set.

Got it, thx Stevem2.

Actually, CDs can contain CD-Text which is tagging information. It is not always there and not all ripping programs will harvest it however. Sony CD players display it when playing a CD. I do not recall which other players do. See, here for a little more.

I used to include CD-Text on CDs of recordings I make for clients but no one seemed to care. I stopped and, again, no one seems to care. :slight_smile:

I’ve had CDs with CD-Text but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule and I haven’t seen any signs that my ripping programs use it (although it might not always be obvious). Are you aware of specific ripping software that uses it?

Windows Media Player loads and writes CD-Text, EAC does the same (and will create a cue file based upon it), CDex, others.

So what you’re asking is to have the labels in the metadata base editable to your liking?

Ideally the metadata fields are editable and assignable.

Thus, if my recordings are tagged for Ensemble and Octave has a tag for Band, I can change Band to Ensemble and tell the system to populate my Ensemble tags to the newly named Ensemble tag. Of course, Octave now needs to be able to display and allow searches on Ensemble.

Similarly, if Octave does not have a tag I have relied upon I can, ideally, create a new tag in Octave to accept my data.

There are many who have fought with existing fixed tagging schemes in order to achieve something workable. To really appeal to many of us, Octave needs to be able to accommodate these schemes.

Curious to know what database Octave is developed with. Are you using a traditional relational database like MySQL or one of the recent NoSQL variants such as MongoDB?

Mongo and the like are more flexible in their use of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data.

It makes sense that the scale down Octave will not have a built in drive for ripping to reduce cost, but will they have internal store of 2TBs or more? Will the internal storage drives be solid state. Will the Octaves incorporate MQA for those us using legacy DACs?