What are you spinning now? (Mk 3)

4 Likes

It’s going to be one of those days…

5 Likes

2 Likes

Antonio Carlos Jobim “Stone Flower” CTI-RVG series cd reissue, HQCD.

2 Likes

11 Likes

10 Likes

I lean towards early Chet Baker, for example Chet Baker Sings on the Pacific Jazz /Blue Note Label, The Chet Baker Sextet also on Pacific Jazz/Blue Note. Of course there are the Mosaic vinyl releases of Chet Baker with Russ Freeman; The Complete Pacific Jazz Live Recordings of Chet Baker with Russ Freeman, and The Complete Pacific Jazz Studio Recordings of Chet Baker with Russ Freeman. I highly recommend the Mosaic sets.

1 Like

4 Likes

Some Yusef Lateef Live at Peps:

2 Likes

What a Cover, and and Stone Flower, no less…

Yes. I love this one, Jobim with Deodata arrangements is a great mix for me. (Tide is another). I have an LP and four different cd versions. Each offers me a new little window into the sessions.

1 Like

Regarding Yusef Lateef, just ordered record below from Vinyl Me, Please. Can’t wait to discover “new” (from '61) and interesting music. Love VM, P record club.

Yusef Lateef ‘Eastern Sounds’

3 Likes

1 Like

I have an early version, It is one of my favorite early Yusef Lateef albums, two others being Live at Pep’s and Live at Pep’s Vol. 2. Also worth seeking is his later works with Adam Rudolph:

2 Likes

4 Likes

I don’t have much in the way of “classical music”, I don’t really enjoy enough of it to build up a good collection and the learning curve of what and who is good is too steep.
However I am lucky in that living in the UK gives me Hi-Rez access to BBC Radio 3.
Been listening all afternoon, no idea what they are playing but most of it has been excellent - solo violin mostly the last hour or so :slight_smile:
If you can find the URLs (they don’t widely advertise them, strangely) you can listen at 256 or 320 kbs AAC which is not too shabby, and the compress less than just about every other radio station.
Highly recommended (though you may need a VPN to access the hi rez streams from elsewhere).

2 Likes

Thanks Lonson. Shall check them out.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll see if they are available on Qobuz. Usually I stream to sample and then buy if I really like the album (optimize spending).
I was listening to one of his albums earlier today while driving to work. Didn’t care much for the singing part but did like the music.

I started with Chet Baker trumpet. Found his vocals initially to be an acquired taste. With time I learned to appreciate them more. He reminds me of Billie Holliday in way with a certain anguish in his delivery. The man truly lived a hard life. He got in a brawl that resulted in a broken jaw ipacting his trumpt playing significantly. Worked his way back on trumpet and included more vocals in his performances. It’s a heartbreaking story, somewhat similar to that of Art Pepper. There was a biography and film documentary titled “Lets Get Lost” for the curious. I found the film to be just OK, not compelling. There was also a more recent film addressing Chet Baker’s more self destructive tendencies, “Born to Be Blue”. I’d start with “Let’s Get Lost”.

3 Likes

10 Likes