What Are You Spinning Right Now? (Mk. 2)

That has been happening to me, I’m replacing older US cds with these new Japanese versions, an expensive objective to achieve. These new ones do sound very good. The ones that struck me as particularly “improved” would be Lou Donaldson “Takes Off” and Bobby Hutcherson “Total Eclipse.”

2 Likes

A new John Coltrane album will be released September 27 that includes a session recorded for a film in 1964. So far the only place to order I see is for the SHM-CD version at CDJapan.co.jp

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/16/751516859/a-lost-album-from-john-coltrane-is-found-with-thanks-to-a-french-canadian-direct

4 Likes

Yesterday I got a box in the mail from CDJapan with the August 14 batch of 80th Anniversary Blue Note cd reissues.

Listened so far to:

Lou Donaldson “Gravy Train”. . . this is a great date with great tunes and Lou’s horn sounds glorious.

Lonnie Smith “Drives” . . . .funky and driving bottom end on this one.

Horace Silver “Serenade to a Soul Sister” . . . nice sound, Turrentine and Cobham especially are standing out in the current presentation my system is delivering.

1 Like

1 Like

Now, Eddie Gale “Black Rhythm Happenin’s” Blue Note Japan 2019 cd.

I’ve always loved this record, and it sounds very good on this release. Elvin Jones! I like the Water Records cd as well.

1 Like

Well…I didn’t get evicted this morning…LOL. Removed from the Covers page…oops.

Rite%20of%20Strings%20SACD

Happy 5.1 Friday Everyone ! Enjoy the Weekend. Happy is chilling in the bottom right corner of the pic. Getting her Suntan…:blush:

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

My preferred interpreters of the Carter quartets. Terrific sound too.

Thanks for the link. The title track from the forthcoming “Blue World” album is available on Spotify. Sounds good!

3 Likes

HIP Fauré on period instruments. Very nice - -

Separation Sunday has been one of my favorite albums from the early 2000’s. A great concept album, I still play it very loud.

Your Little Hood Rat Friend

1 Like

@Sohail, looks like I need to pick up a few. Some of those from the late 80’s are painful to listen to. Of course I do have them on vinyl, so maybe I am just obsessing.

Ya beat me to it. I just found out about this as well. One can never have too much Coltrane. File on What Am I spinning on September 27, :blush:

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2019/08/15/blueworld_cover_-rgb_hi-res_sq-33b6d22a4ffe3fb3b58d59788604dc137a244bde-s600-c85.jpg

Link to Nate Chinen’s piece on NPR August 16:

1 Like

Credit is due to @lonson, who alerted us all a few posts up!

1 Like

Thanks to both of you!!

1 Like

1 Like

I’m related to Beck, well sort of, my ex-wife’s Priest’s mother married Beck’s father. really.

2 Likes