What Are You Spinning Right Now? (Mk. 2)

Love the hanging man prop. And the mezzo’s pistol earring. Great touches. And of course a Danish orchestra performing an Italian composer’s music about the American west.

Yes, and you deserve the credit for first bringing it to our attention here.

Thanks Elk. It definitely checks all the right boxes. Didn’t appreciate how good Morricone is before now (although I’ve always liked the theme to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly). And appropriate for you guys out west.

And since this a PS Audio site, I’ll mention that I’m running the sound through my DSJ. :grin:

1 Like

Flying Lotus, “You’re Dead!”

Jazzy trip-hop from Stephen Ellison (aka Flying Lotus), the great nephew of John and Alice Coltrane.

2 Likes

1 Like

‘Never Catch Me’ on that album is a wonderful track. The video is pretty good too.

1 Like

That was one of the top five war movies ever. And I’ve seen most of them.

oh my god. I’m a big Kenny Burrell fan, and this came up on my Roon Radio shuffle. Fekking brilliant. And recording is sublime. If you like jazz piano that’s a little off the traditional path, give this a listen.

6 Likes

Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna - Hi-Res

1 Like

This is one of those LPs that I can look at the cover and hear the first side in my head. I bought it when it first came out. . . . I had fond Keith on electric piano and organ with Miles Davis just a bit before, and when the solo piano one before this one (Bremen/Lausanne) came out I bought that, then this when it was released. Spent many an evening spinning those and drifting away. . . .

1 Like

Used my Amazon points so I’m listening to this at no cash outlay :grin: - -

SACD 1
total playing time: 73:22

Emmanuel Nunes (1941–2012)
Un calendrier révolu for 14 instruments (1968 / 1969) 51:23

[01] Partie I 20:16
[02] Partie II 31:07

World premiere · Live recording

Remix Ensemble Casa da Música
Emilio Pomàrico, conductor

Eivind Buene (*1973)
Lessons in Darkness for ensemble (2017) 21:57

[03] First Lesson 05:22
[04] Second Lesson 06:49
[05] Third Lesson 09:46

Commissioned by SWR and The Norwegian Composers’ Fund
for Campus Musikfabrik with support from Kunststiftung NRW

Ensemble Musikfabrik (Enno Poppe, rehearsals)

SACD 2
total playing time: 71:41

Andreas Dohmen (*1962)
[01] a doppio movimento for electric guitar, harp, piano and large orchestra (2016 / 2017) 22:35

World premiere · Live recording · Commissioned by SWR

Yaron Deutsch, electric guitar
Andreas Mildner, harp
Nicolas Hodges, piano
SWR Symphonieorchester
Ilan Volkov, conductor

Márton Illés (*1975)
Ez-tér (Es-Raum) for orchestra (2014 / 2017) 17:40

02 I 03:32
03 II 04:07
04 III 06:44
05 IV 03:17

World premiere · Commissioned by SWR

SWR Symphonieorchester
Pablo Rus Broseta, conductor

Chaya Czernowin (*1957)

06 Guardian for violoncello and orchestra (2017) 31:23

Commissioned by SWR, Philharmonie Luxembourg and Orchestre Philharmonique du Luxembourg

Séverine Ballon, violoncello
SWR Symphonieorchester
Pablo Rus Broseta, conductor

1 Like

Johannes Brahms: Piano Trio No. 2 in C major, Op. 87
Trio Wanderer
Jean-Marc Phillips-Varjabedian, violin
Raphael Pidoux, cello
Vincent Coq, piano

1 Like

1 Like

Just released yesterday by tiny Brooklyn grassroots independent label 577 Records in a limited run of 300 hand-numbered LPs, this album is already streaming on TIDAL. Phenomenal fusion of avant-garde acoustic jazz wind instruments (Daniel Carter on alto and tenor saxophones, flute and trumpet) with trance-like trip-hop production. Excellent dynamic range with a wide and deep soundscape. I am guessing the vinyl sounds sensational.

5 Likes

Are you aware that this is the most wellknown piano jazz recording ever (at least in Europe)?

Must be great to explore this first time :wink:

After a very rough and emotional night, looks like my beautiful 1st daughter is getting divorced after a short marriage, the sun is out, it’s very cold and crisp and Nat is playing. Life is so difficult and so great!

1 Like