What Are You Spinning Right Now? (Mk. 2)

This record received a nice write-up in the March 2019 issue of The Absolute Sound (at p. 219). I am streaming it on TIDAL and thinking about purchasing the 24/96 download.

4 Likes

This one again since I enjoyed revisiting it so much last week.

Bobby Hutcherson “Wise One” Kind of Blue Records

Such great song selection from the Coltrane repertoire. Nice recording as well.

5 Likes

Tasty tribute to Monk by Tommy Flanagan.

8 Likes

Thank you !
CM was always interesting even towards the end. He was a GIANT !!

Indeed. One of the artists that cemented my obsession with jazz.

Lester Young “The Master’s Touch” Savoy/Denon cd.

Pres was amazing. A strong influence on music and players I love. A unique individual in and outside of music.

5 Likes

It’s been too long since I listened to this one. Such a fun piece of Ellingtonia.

5 Likes

Happy Birthday (yesterday) to Steve!

2 Likes

Great new 3-CD set that is not available on streaming services (at least not AFAICT). Excellent performances and mono sound, including 85 minutes of previously unreleased music, and the accompanying 100-page booklet is among the best CD booklets I have seen.

7 Likes

2 Likes

I feel another Ellington blitz coming on–often happens, one album leads me into his wonderful musical world and I get trapped spinning many more. Not a bad thing at all. He was a master and I’ve enjoyed his music for decades.

These Columbia albums were masterpieces in recorded sound as well. Wow.

4 Likes

Wait—A guitar is a woman.

1 Like

7 Likes

DSCF3875

5 Likes

10 Likes

DSCF3841

4 Likes

4 Likes

Not in the Ellington jazz world. In that world Madame Zzaj is the woman and the drum.

Tried to break the Ellington blitz. . . but saw this by the system and had to put it back in.

Over the last few years this disc has really begun to mean a lot to me. It’s a musical about love (interracial love in the source material) and family and love and family mean more and more to me as time goes by, and this disc I really “feel.” Nice sound too.

Ellington the year this music was originally written.

Freddie Cole is very good on this as are many of the instrumentalists.

https://jazztimes.com/news/ellingtons-big-secret/

2 Likes

Well that’s a rat hole that only brings fulfillment.