What are you spinning right now?

Again, I appreciate many like pop music. It is not for me, in any quantity.

I am similarly perfectly happy never visiting a Taco Bell. It is perfectly fine if Taco Bell is your go-to restaurant.

You like pejorative language. The language of an elite who ā€œknows better.ā€

It is just an opinion. One you sought out by gratuitously labeling your own music as ā€œpop Christmas crap.ā€ :slight_smile:

I have no problem with others referring to classical music as tedious, elitist, boring, tiresome, pure noise (referencing modern art music) - I have been subject to these pronouncements since I was in first grade when I learned this music speaks to me. It does not lessen my enjoyment. I also get a chance to learn what others like and to give it a try.

I similarly expect others to be able to handle expressions their chosen music is something I chose to avoid.

Fast food is the perfect analogy: mass appeal; high in sugar and fat, carefully crafted to push specific buttons in its audience, readily accessible.

And my language is tame when compared to the opinions expressed by others of the musical stylings of Justin Bieber. :smile:

1 Like

I also think music, the taste of someone and thereby the person itself (intended or not) shouldnā€™t be disrespected or devalued by comparing it with fastfood vs. ā€žgood foodā€œ. Not in a music forum, not by a moderator and not in general imo (independent if thereā€™s truth in it or not). But ELK put into perspective what first sounded like a given objective fact in direction of a subjective opinion, so it should be fine for everyone.

Thereā€™s music with little pretense transporting more than some complex symphony.

Itā€™s kinda sorta like what I learned in my business career: if your customer is behaving irrationally, most likely itā€™s because you donā€™t understand their rationale. To paraphrase the old saw, good tunes are in the ears of the beholder.

Fascinating how different interpretations of the same piece can be. Very interesting to compare those two. As much as itā€™s often interesting to hold and compare different masterings of albums imo.

1 Like

Please keep in mind the discussion arose in the context of classical musicians contractual limitations on playing Arthur Fiedler / Boston Pops Orchestra style music. If find such music and their performances drippy, without substance, immensely tiresome. Fast food is a perfect analogy. The Boston Pops popularity demonstrates I am in the minority. I can live with this. :slight_smile:

Expressing an opinion on music is no different than expressing an opinion on cables or anything else. Many have posted strong opinions on many different topics, replete with strong analogies. Others have similarly expressed immense distaste for country, various rock bands especially progressive and punk, etc. As long as one does not attack another member personally (ā€œYou are an idiotā€) everything is fair game.

Remember, we are expressing opinions. It is not as if we are discussing something we clear objective facts such as politics.

Absolutely! One would guess that given every note is already defined on the page, orchestration is fixed, etc. that the performances would be nearly the same. Of course, this is far from true.

It often requires significant familiarity with the piece to even be aware of the differences however. This is both one of the joys of listening to classical music and one of the frustrations. I almost always wish I knew a piece better so that I could better appreciate what the performer is doing.

Thatā€™s fine as long as itā€™s clear itā€™s meant as a personal opinion. Sometimes by the way itā€™s expressed this seems kind of hidden and more like an absolute statement.

BTW I share your opinion about Boston Pops like style. I just think even if thereā€˜d be an absolute agreement among experts about a baseness of something, when discussing with someone who likes it, imo itā€™s a matter of respect to care about a level of personal opinionsā€¦this sometimes needs clear pronouncing of the same (as you did finally).

1 Like

Iā€™m still not sure if we tend to prefer an interpretation we hear first and are very familiar with to later ones we hear. Or if the first heard often really are better by accident

However in the meantime I have a quite certain feeling of good or bad interpretations for myself when comparing :wink:

And dig that snazzy jacket

LOJC338

3 Likes

Which one do you prefer? Just curious.

Disc 2 of this fine set.

1 Like

The Tacet CD is much more energetic and also a little faster, it was my first reference. Itā€™s more demanding, less easy on the ear, but fascinating. I love very dynamic and energetic string quartets and chamber orchestras. Often Iā€™d love to play string quartet if Iā€™d play strings.It must be very satisfying.

The ECM gives a very different, much more kind of romantic characteristic to the work. I put it on when we were having dinner today, something I would have never done with the Tacet.

I like them both much for what they offer. I think the Tacet is very unique and special while I guess the ECM is probably more common and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a special variant of that kind as I donā€™t know any other versions.

While I do not disagree conceptually, it should not be necessary to continually state over and over that posts are opinions. Nor, for that matter, should disagreeing views routinely lead to melt downs in readers.

If something is started as an absolute, ask questions and discuss what is posted. It is entirely appropriate to challenge a statement of fact if one thinks it is factually wrong. Please just do it respectfully.

I previously struggled with this as well. I often initially preferred the first version I became intimately familiar with. It can take effort to accept a new interpretation.

More and more however I will be struck by an interpretation I know is good, even on initial hearing and part of the way through. Angela Hewittā€™s Bach interpretations fit into this category. I find her phrasing and emphasis of line brilliant and compelling.

ā€¦melting down with some old Be-Bop. Thanks be to Mosaic Records.

3 Likes

I will look out for albums of her to try.

Please let me know what you think. I am not as crazy about her Couperin and others, but her Bach is wonderful.

1947ā€¦going through these again slowly. Between Bear Family and Mosaicā€¦so much great music to discover and re-discover.

1 Like