SL1400

2 Likes

They look so unhappy

No, they are trying to look scary.

New on Qobuz

1 Like

1 Like

Caught in the act of being mediocre :smile:

Thanks, Elk. It is a bit late here now but I promise I shall listen to it in the morning.

Please let me know your opinion. I like her a great deal, enjoying her tone and intensity.

Amusingly the English musicians had to explain to her how larks fly as she did not know the literal meaning of the piece’s title.

Mr. Elk
Pardon me for commenting, stepping on your Hilary Hahn thread. I listened to several tracks and while not a violin appreciator, I feel that she has an amazing control, standing out as effortless and smooth.
I decided to buy her recent Retrospective album, its time I broaden my appreciation space.
Chas

If listening to early Stooges records is playing the ‘mediocre’ card, then DEAL ME IN! :metal:

(The Stooges are by no means my favorite band, and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but it’s kinda difficult, I think, to tag the Stooges as ‘mediocre’ given the “fairly persuasive case” that’s been made that they were “the greatest band of all time.”)

I can’t support my classifying the band as mediocre. My only defense is that I don’t recall the band. I will look for a possible reunion tour. :smile: Then I will feel obligated to withdraw my lame humor.

1 Like

44/876 -Sting getting it done w/ Shaggy

Doing my small part to help keep alive the ailing, ever shrinking domain of New Music (and classical music more generally) - - :grin:

Erhard Grosskopf (*1934)

I am not familiar with her playing, but I found her rendition of ‘The Lark Ascending’ to be gentle and melodic, and better suited to Vaughan William’s music than the interpretation by Andrew Manze, who seems more ‘technical’. I also tried listening to the same piece played by Pinchas Zukerman. I thought him very good, but Hahn’s delicacy was more appropriate. I shall listen to a few more of her albums.

zukerman_lark

45B018C1-937B-4BF6-A7F3-2541CD5690A8

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback.

I especially recommend her recording of the Barber & Meyer violin concertos. Gorgeous pieces, deliciously performed.

SX466

Listen to the first movement of the Barber concerto (1939), breathtaking: click

The theme of the second movement is one of the most beautiful melodies penned (the above is the first movement.)

3 Likes

I shall certainly listen to it, if available on Qobuz, but not until tomorrow - I have used up my daily ‘allowance’ for solo violin already! I have been listening to her two albums of the Bach Sonatas and Partitas. I believe there are 20 years between them. I was struck by the increase in depth and assurance in her playing in the later one. For me there are 3 stages to listening; first you hear the playing, if the playing is good you hear the music, and if the playing is very good indeed you drift into a region behind the music which is very complex. The second album took me to that complex region.

hahn_bach_2

2 Likes

The second is indeed better, but the first is excellent.

Her interviews are fascinating. She is incredibly bright, articulate, understated, and her knowledge of past and present violin greats’ interpretive styles is enlightening. I have herd her imitate others’ playing where she explains what they are doing, how their stylings fit into past and present interpretive preferences, etc. Amazing stuff.

1 Like

Clapton does a Christmas album with “Jingle Bells” on it. Can’t wait to get home.

Eric Clapton Happy Xmas

Donald Byrd “At the Half Note Vol. 2” Blue Note TOCJ Japan cd

Love the swinging sound and arrangements of this Byrd unit. So sad Duke Pearson left us so young.

2 Likes